• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Somebody needs to save this 68 charger from becoming a restomod (for sale, not mine)

Michael_

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:31 PM
Reaction score
1968-Dodge-Charger-630x390.jpg

Car is an excellent candidate for a retsomod restoration (Seller)
but I almost wish that wasn’t still the numbers-matching 318 in the bay so I could feel better about moving forward with it. (barnfinds.com)

I think it would be a shame to make a restomod out of it. I would fix the visible rust, go mechanically through it, fix (not completely redo) the interior and drive it as is.
But unfortunately i do not have the need, time, space or money for that car.

What's wrong with a nice Retso-mod ?

not every car needs to be 100% OE
& most resto's are far from it anyway, nowhere near an OE resto

it's a 318 904/auto car too, not exactly rare or high desired
perfect candidate,
if someone felt the need to do any type of resto-mod

bunch of rust anyway, not much survivor there left

$25,700 44 bids in, end Sat 7:45pm Mo. time

Last edited:

Nothing is wrong with a nice restomod. I just think you should not use this exact charger for building one because with some effort it can be a nice survivor.

After zooming in there is a bit more rust that i initially saw. I wonder if you could blend that with the original paint (which is also not perfect) after fixing?

I'm really jealous of all the working room compared to my 440. See how easy it is to reach the spark plugs? :D
Of course i'm not jealous of the performance.
s-l1600.jpg

is orange even the correct color for a 1968 318?

“That” Charger only holds high value as a resto mod. 318 car. Meh. Not a Hemi RT.
There is definitely more rust than i originally saw. Also why is the paint under hood so dull compared to outside? is it really the original paint?
Maybe i've been a bit to fast with that one.

“That” Charger only holds high value as a resto mod. 318 car. Meh. Not a Hemi RT.

As long as i don't need big power i would happily take a nice original turn key survivor 318 charger over a restomod.
As i pointed out earlier look at the working room and i can easily figure out and get the right parts.

There is definitely more rust than i originally saw. Also why is the paint under hood so dull compared to outside? is it really the original paint?
Maybe i've been a bit to fast with that one.
I paid 75 bucks for a green one,and 80 bucks for a beige one in the eighties,both were in similar condition. The picture of the green car was taken after someone hit it when I was stopped at a red light. It was the only picture I could find of the car. Both were running driving cars that I used for my daily drivers.

20231101_061743.jpg

20200823_111043.jpg

20200823_111049.jpg

For posterity (from the ad):

VIN: XP29F8B308737

s-l1200~3.jpg

I see 50 grand in panel replacement and body work alone.

After looking at this car closer i agree it's probably NOT a cheap & easy fix. I now can also understand why people consider using this for building a restomod.

But it's still a pretty original car without a bunch of aftermarket parts slapped on to it. I think the right thing to do would be performing a complete nut and bolt restoration back to factory specifications. Especially if it is numbers matching. But i do realize that's most likely not going to happen.

it's a 318 904/auto car too, not exactly rare or high desired
perfect candidate,
if someone felt the need to do any type of resto-mod

bunch of rust anyway, not much survivor there left

$25,700 44 bids in, end Sat 7:45pm Mo. time
I saw the thread title & before I opened it this was my first thought..

If it were a numbers matching R/T I would prefer they find a different car but at the end of the day it's their car and their $$$

After looking at this car closer i agree it's probably NOT a cheap & easy fix. I now can also understand why people consider using this for building a restomod.

But it's still a pretty original car without a bunch of aftermarket parts slapped on to it. I think the right thing to do would be performing a complete nut and bolt restoration back to factory specifications. Especially if it is numbers matching. But i do realize that's most likely not going to happen.

75 grand will need to be put into this car whether you keep it all stock or go the restomod route. The difference is that if you kept it stock with a 318, you’ll have far more money in it than it is worth. By making it a quality built restomod, you’ll probably break even.

75 grand will need to be put into this car whether you keep it all stock or go the restomod route. The difference is that if you kept it stock with a 318, you’ll have far more money in it than it is worth. By making it a quality built restomod, you’ll probably break even.

That's exactly why i said "But i do realize that's most likely not going to happen".

For that to happen someone with the money, space and mindset (never sell any car) like Jay Leno would have to buy it.

Jay Leno would buy solid west coast cars,and even those require some metal work,but nothing like the cars from the rustbelt!

That car deserves to be put out of its misery. Part it out and crush the remnants.

This is a better deal at $89,900

Screenshot_20240223-195036~2.png
1970-plymouth-road-runner.jpeg
1970-plymouth-road-runner (1).jpeg

VIN: RM21V0A140700

Last edited:
Or this one for $76,900

Screenshot_20240223-200729~2.png
1972-plymouth-road-runner-gtx.jpeg

VIN: RM23U2R344142

The Car apparently sold for 30100$ just a couple minutes ago.

Auto Transport Service
Back