• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Somethings wrong with the front end

Markzilla88

Local time
12:56 PM
Reaction score
Hey guys its been a while since I've been on last so its good to finally be back.

So Ive been putting some serious miles on my 73 Charger and its beginning to show in the tires. I know I'm supposed to rotate them and I havent, so thats on me, but I noticed today when I did a walk around on the car that the inside half of the tread on the front tires is wearing down very very quickly to almost bald. The tires are BF goodrich radial T/A's and they have been on there for 5 years now. What would be causing them to wear like this? I have also just started to notice that the passenger side of the car is sagging a tad now which is very concerning. Last but not least, but probably the worst, the K frame is starting to look rough. I look a look underneath and noticed that the bushings? (round donut looking pieces of rubber) that are squished between the k frame and body closest to the cabin are falling apart and arent doing a damn thing, and now the pieces of the K frame that connect closest to the cabin are rusting through.

Does anyone have any idea of why the tires are wearing like that, will rotating tires front to back help/buy me some time, what could be causing the sag, and are there replacement k frames or is this something I could take off and weld some new support pieces to to replace the old rusted ones?

Thank you very much in advanced

The tires are wearing cause your alignment is beat. Sounds like some major front end work is in the cars future. They make the bushings for the k frame. But if the frame itself is rotten, you may need one. Used would be the way to go for sure. In the mean time you can rotate the tires or turn them around on the wheel, and wear out the other edge.

You've pretty much answered all your own questions. The k frame is rusted out and all the bushings are bad. Since the k frame supports the entire front suspension, any wear on the bushings where it attaches to the body will result in skewed alignment settings. Can you post a pic of the rusted out area?

yep , they like to rust between the bushings
this is what they should look like new

Attachments

• fe2.jpg
    fe2.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 372
  • fe5.jpg
    fe5.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 362
I would slap aluminum bushings in there so quick it would make your head swim.

They are right about the k frame. Here ins mine from a 74 Charger which might be beyond repair.

100_3906-500.gif

It can be fixed. It might not be worth it though if it has similar problems elsewhere on the k frame.

It can be fixed. It might not be worth it though if it has similar problems elsewhere on the k frame.

It would be for the person who knows what they are doing. I am left out in that dept.

You cut all that thin rusted part out. Come in from the bottom and weld in all new metal from the bottom closing the hole up. Then cut out a piece that fits perfect in the recess on the top side and weld that in. Then you locate the hole for the bolt, drill it out and you're done. I saw Asa braggin about his weldin skills in that thread with Rani on FABO........or was he just full of **** as usual?

You cut all that thin rusted part out. Come in from the bottom and weld in all new metal from the bottom closing the hole up. Then cut out a piece that fits perfect in the recess on the top side and weld that in. Then you locate the hole for the bolt, drill it out and you're done. I saw Asa braggin about his weldin skills in that thread with Rani on FABO........or was he just full of **** as usual?

I refuse to answer on the grounds it might incriminate me.

I knew all that was a crock. He's always cryin about being broke and poor. Anybody that could lay beads like he was postin pics of would be makin some jack. And see.......I bet everything Rani posted was really her work.

I knew all that was a crock. He's always cryin about being broke and poor. Anybody that could lay beads like he was postin pics of would be makin some jack. And see.......I bet everything Rani posted was really her work.

Who is rani? the gal with the 66/67 Plymouth?

I think so......I forget what B body she has. I met her over on FABO because she has several A bodies too. ranidart is her screen name.

Old tired rebel: thats about what my K frame looks like. where it connects to the frame on the back side of the k frame it has snapped through on 1/2 of each side so its time to either take it apart and get someone to attempt to fix it, or find one at a swap meet. I did find an aftermarket k frame but theres no way Im paying almost 3,500 for it.
Like i said shes been my daily driver for 5 years now so things are starting to show their wear and tear and as expected shes acting up more and more often so its time to look into a new car (maybe a new challenger) and start tearing her down and fixing it back up.

Old tired rebel: thats about what my K frame looks like. where it connects to the frame on the back side of the k frame it has snapped through on 1/2 of each side so its time to either take it apart and get someone to attempt to fix it, or find one at a swap meet. I did find an aftermarket k frame but theres no way Im paying almost 3,500 for it.
Like i said shes been my daily driver for 5 years now so things are starting to show their wear and tear and as expected shes acting up more and more often so its time to look into a new car (maybe a new challenger) and start tearing her down and fixing it back up.

Places a wanted ad in the classifieds you maybe able to find one that way. Do you have a BB or SB car? Look into k frames from these years. 73-77 Charger 75-79 Cordoba 75-77 Fury 77-79 Magnum they all interchange.

Places a wanted ad in the classifieds you maybe able to find one that way. Do you have a BB or SB car? Look into k frames from these years. 73-77 Charger 75-79 Cordoba 75-77 Fury 77-79 Magnum they all interchange.

Also look into 73 and 74 satellites.... Also the same as a charger

Auto Transport Service
Back