• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spare tire

subforry

Local time
6:04 AM
Reaction score
Hi all,

I would like a spare tire in my 1966 Charger, mostly to hold up the trunk subfloor.

The car has 15x7 rims with tires that are just under 27". From my measurements the tire and rim must be under 7" high and maybe a 27" tire would fit.

What are people using for spares or to hold the subfloor up?

Thanks

7.75-14 is what the car was made with. That’s a narrow tire. A wider tire will raise the trunk board.

I took some 2x6 wood and constructed a box, that not only holds board and the larger spare. Later model B bodies the spare mounted at an angle towards the back seat. The parts are repoed. Get the anchor for the newer model, and weld or bolt it to the panel that covers the shock cross member. The only other part you would need is the bolt that's used on the later model. If you don't care about the original Mopar look, fabricate the bracket.

I had a 245.60.15 tire on a 15x7 rim.
And the board sets up quite a bit under the mat

I now have a 195.14 tire under it.

I like the look much better

I had a 245.60.15 tire on a 15x7 rim.
And the board sets up quite a bit under the mat

I now have a 195.14 tire under it.

I like the look much better
Do you worry about a tire diameter mismatch with sure-grip?

Do you worry about a tire diameter mismatch with sure-grip?
Nope

99% of the time I'm fairly close to home.
So the 14 is fine.
If I go more than a few hrs away. I have another 15x7 magnum and same size tire I swap it out with.

But recently bought an enclosed trailer. So pretty much anything over 2hrs away. From now... I'll trailer it

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back