• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spark plug Wire recommendation: MSD distributor

Billccm

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:05 PM
Reaction score
Hello All:
I have a 68 Road Runner, 383, with MSD Street Fire ignition and distributor. Today I noticed one of the plug wires has some cracked insulation.
The car has MSD wires, but they are WAY TOO LONG on the passenger bank.
Any recommendation on better fitting replacement spark plug wires that would fit the wire hold down on the distributor?
Thanks for any advice, or tips.
Take care, Bill

20170506_161702.jpg

I just built my own set of wires using Accel wire kit. It was easy and I have the lengths I need. You might want to consider this route. You also get to choose your color!

Personally I like Taylors, though I've never used Firecores before. If your doing a custom set get a quality crimper.

Personally I like Taylors, though I've never used Firecores before. If your doing a custom set get a quality crimper.
MSD wires have one of the least resistance of any wire out there. I always use the 8.5 red wires, and cut them to fit.

it seems by what I have checked on marked there is not less resistance wire than firecore wires ( 50 and 250 ohms per foot depending on the wire set you choose, for strip or street, hence firecore50 or firecore250 names )

Myself... I'm happy with the firecore 250s they sent me although never have compared these with some other performance wires, just the aftermarket replacements I had... I actually requested for the 50 series, but as soon they known I was on a street car and I use the radio and using the stock spark plug wires brackets they sent me 250 series. They are 8 mm ( not 7 like the originals ) but look perfect stock. had to enlarge a bit the brackest and done.

50 series is 8.5 as far I recall.

when I bough the first set, measured the ones I had on car since they have on production the set for pre 72 setup ( big block ). 73 and lates got a diff lenghts. Some of the ones on my car were too long so gave a bit shorter measurements to them and ordered. Shame I made a mistake on some of the lenghts, being a bit "tight" although worked.

Decided to get a second set for spare but then bought a NOS 73 and lates set to measure and send the measurements. I guess they have saved those measurements future "custom" sets, being not custom anymore for 73 and later owners. I had to pay that the first time. The only bad on the spare set I have saved is they didn't have anymore the 135* boots, but the terminals... so I got them without the boots. I guess will change the boots from the previous set when needed.

I love the performance under the stock look... perfect sleeper

I am using Firecore wires also now and they are holding up good. I have also run Taylors and had good luck with them. Ron

I use MSD 8.5 along with the MSD ignition. Car runs great - I bought them from Summit and melted one of the terminals on a header - was able to buy separate from Summit as well. You might try them for bulk wires/terminals.

Auto Transport Service
Back