• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spark then no spark

hunter.s73

Local time
4:05 PM
Reaction score
Got a 71 satellite 318 trying to get running right need some help, now I have no spark some times it will have spark and fire other times it has no spark but I've never had it really running good, most ive had it going was able to run for 30 seconds if i kept my hand on the throttle.today I noticed this Grey wire coming off my harness for my electronic ignition not hooked to anything where could it have gone? Also checked my voltage at the coil its only at about 5-6v any help is appreciated

20230528_144521.jpg

Got a 71 satellite 318 trying to get running right need some help, now I have no spark some times it will have spark and fire other times it has no spark but I've never had it really running good, most ive had it going was able to run for 30 seconds if i kept my hand on the throttle.today I noticed this Grey wire coming off my harness for my electronic ignition not hooked to anything where could it have gone? Also checked my voltage at the coil its only at about 5-6v any help is appreciated

View attachment 1471358
If that wiring harness is an old one, check all the spade connectors for burn marks, or to check if they are loose.

A loose connection will give an intermittent running condition.
Start at the bulkhead - resistor wiring, connector for the distributor and bulkhead connector itself.

If that wiring harness is an old one, check all the spade connectors for burn marks, or to check if they are loose.

A loose connection will give an intermittent running condition.
Start at the bulkhead - resistor wiring, connector for the distributor and bulkhead connector itself.
Harness is new,I just cleaned the bulkhead resistor is new,I did find another wire not connected to anything its blue and has 11v to it with the key on I have 11v coming from the blue wire on the resistor and 5 from the brown when key is on

16853040428134029871651673453408.jpg

Harness is new,I just cleaned the bulkhead resistor is new,I did find another wire not connected to anything its blue and has 11v to it with the key on I have 11v coming from the blue wire on the resistor and 5 from the brown when key is on

View attachment 1471416
That floating blue wire might be for connection of the fast idle solenoid on the carburettor.
It should have a plastic housing on it.

try another ecu if you have one. hard to find good ones new these days.
check the gap on the magnetic pick-up in the distributor;should be about .008 . check the wires going to it and the connector.
5-7 volts to the coil is normal with key on and from the ballast resistor. make sure your ecu is grounded well and also that the engine is grounded to the chassis and battery well.
could be a bad ignition coil or magnetic pick-up. could be a shorted wire to or from the ballast resistor.
good luck.

check the gap on the magnetic pick-up in the distributor;should be about .008 . check the wires going to it and the connector.
5-7 volts to the coil is normal with key on and from the ballast resistor. make sure your ecu is grounded well and also that the engine is grounded to the chassis and battery well.
could be a bad ignition coil or magnetic pick-up. could be a shorted wire to or from the ballast resistor.

good luck.
Re grounded the ecu I have what looks like good spark but car still won't fire I have fuel also, very confused now I have checked the timing and checked all the connectors and the firing order tried a separate ballast, I did order a new ecu but that's gonna be a few days till that's in, thanks

I had a GM HEI with the spark/no spark issue, one of the pickup coil wires had an internal break from flexing every time the vacuum advance moved the stator. It’s possible the same is happening with your Mopar distributor.

Auto Transport Service
Back