• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Speaking of media blasting...

go for it!! and tell us how it turned out, if u have all the time in the world and low budget, i would do what you are thinking of doing and doing it urself is very rewarding!
Kid

So after doing some more research I find that paint shops don't always trust soda blasting unless it is cleaned off properly, one site suggested using this stuff to clean it off http://www.holdtight.com/

input?

just my 2 cents
i have a 60 gallon compressor and a small 40 gallon blaster
i run teh blaster at about 95 psi (compressor can handle up to 250)
at that psi my cfms i think are around 15-20 or 20-25, somthing like that
regardless, every so often i have to let my compressor sort of catch up, its not all the time, usually only when im doing a large section and constantly running the blaster at full tilt.
the setup was sort of pricey, but i think its worth it, mainly i go over large flat areas with a 7 disk sander with some 80 grit, i just be gentle with it so i dont ruin anything, then i hit it with my DA with some 80 grit, sort of go over the whole thing once more with the blaster mainly because the surface the blaster give the metal gets great adhesion.
otherwise, i mainly just use the blaster for those nooks and crannies, or areas where i just dont want to fuss with any sander.
i like the investment, and if you take the time to do it right, it can definetally pay off.

It does not pay to media blast a car yourself. I had my B body done by Quick Strip in Carteret, NJ. He picked up the car on a Monday morning, returned it on Friday. We spent all day Saturday shacking out what the blaster could not get out of the car. The Dust was still coming out a week later. By Sunday we had the car in Epoxy after a good cleaning. I spent 900.00 for the entire job. It is not cheap, but time is money.

Time is money, money is time. i do it because ican't afford to drop 2 grand in one lump sum. One part at a time, 100 bucks at a time., 40 thou from now i'll have one sweet bahama yeller roadrunner. :headbang:

I was planning on blasting my car myself. What type media & what grit should I use on just the underbody? I have already removed all the undercoating.

I've used aircraft stripper, DA sanders, and tried blasting myself-renting a tow behind diesel compressor. There is nothing like dropping the car off at a professional blaster and picking it up all clean!! If I could get an entire car done for the low numbers in this thread I'd be excited! There are 2 guys in my area, $1700 and $2000. Money well spent in my book.

For me, to do an entire car with doors, hood, deck lid, fenders, on a rotisserie, and, assuming the car is COMPLETELY stripped between $1950.00-$2050.00. Some may say "that's too much money", I laugh when I hear (or read this) because most of the time its coming from guys who have NO idea how much labor this task really is, and, how clean I get their stuff after I'm done with it. No sand, no super abrasive mix, just a good 40 psi at the nozzle with plastic crushed dominos getting sprayed out! I'll never do a car for some of the numbers in this thread.

Auto Transport Service
Back