• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

speedo doesn't work

dangina

Local time
8:52 AM
Reaction score
finally at the point where I can drive the car after 4 years! but the speedo doesn't work. The line is on the tranny and its plugged into the back of the speedo and clipped on, is there something I'm missing? Worked on car before project started (said previous owner), all other instruments work on dash...

Is the speedo drive gear installed in the transmission? Internal break in the cable? Undo it from the speedometer and drive the car, does the end turn?

I would suggest putting the rear up on jackstands and putting the car in drive and see if the cable is turning. It's a bit safer. :)

I would suggest putting the rear up on jackstands and putting the car in drive and see if the cable is turning. It's a bit safer. :)

does the cable turn if its not on tight enough? I'll give this a try, thanks!

Just wanted to throw this out there because I did it. Be careful when you screw the speedo cable into the transmission housing. It's aluminum and can cross thread very easily.

Auto Transport Service
Back