• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Speedo gear, cable, and cruise control

monaco75

Local time
9:05 AM
Reaction score
Hello,

Been a member here for a while. I'm a C body guy, so usually stay over on FCBO.

I recently picked up this '77 cordoba-

I've been fixing a bunch of things on her over the past few months. I put a rebuilt 727 in, and gubered the speedo gear up. Its the small clip on type gear. Heres a pic from the internet, the kind I need is on the bottom.

This is not my gear, mines smaller, and white in color. Not sure on the tooth count at the moment. Only place I've been able to find em for sale, says they are out of stock. Anyone know where I could find one? The car has cruise control, that I want to keep, and get working again.

I've been toying with the idea of converting to the other style gear, and housing, and using a different cable. Anyone done this? Have a long trip coming up, that I'd like to get everything working for.

Thanks in advance
Zac

Hey Bryan!

I knew I'd run into you over here! Gotta start coming here more often now that I own a B lol Thanks

Talk to Shannon at Redline Gauge Works.He can make up any type of speedo cable you want.and switch to the more standard speedo gear like the top one in the photo.He would need the length and type of attaching ends such as screw on or clip on. If anything he may even have your exact replacement.

I have a 77 Cordoba and just had both of the speedo drive cables replaced. The old ones were making all kinds of noise. We got new cables from O'Reilly's but Advance had them too. I work for a car dealership so one of the techs put them in for me. Short one from the cruise control module and long one from the transmission. I'm not sure about the drive gear involved so I'll show him this post Monday (tomorrow) and see which one is in it. I did find a variety of them on eBay maybe one of them will work for you.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2060353.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xchrysler+speedometer+gear.TRS0&_nkw=chrysler+speedometer+gear&ghostText=&_sacat=0

are the white speedo gears used that year, the last 2 digits are the # of teeth

from the 77 part book

Thanks guys

I went ahead and ordered everything to swap it over to the more common speedo gear setup. After looking it up, ordered a used 27 tooth gear on ebay, as well as the housing for it. Also ordered a cable for a 74 charger with cruise. Hoping this will work. Cable is a little longer, but as long as it fits both the gear, and cruise I believe I'll be good to go.

I will look today and see if I have one. If you are going to keep your cruise, don't try and convert. If your cruise doesn't work, go right to the bladder first. They often dry rot and leak - and good luck finding one. If the bladder is good, make sure the linkage is hooked up and adjusted properly. Still no workey, you gotta go through the trouble shooting chart. It's a little involved, but if you have a VOM meter you can "follow the yellow brick road". Party down Garth!

Installed the new cable, gear, and housing. All works good! Have a speedo again!! Now on to the cruise control...

I will look today and see if I have one. If you are going to keep your cruise, don't try and convert. If your cruise doesn't work, go right to the bladder first. They often dry rot and leak - and good luck finding one. If the bladder is good, make sure the linkage is hooked up and adjusted properly. Still no workey, you gotta go through the trouble shooting chart. It's a little involved, but if you have a VOM meter you can "follow the yellow brick road". Party down Garth!

Thanks Garth! Well I checked everything out. All the electrics seem to do thier job. The servo is "clicking" as it should per the manual.

I did as you said, and pulled the diaphram out. Yes it is dry around the outer edge, but I did not see any holes in the middle. I put it back together, and tried sucking/blowing on the little nipple for the vacuum hose. It would not hold any pressure. Is it supposed too sitting there? Any other trouble shooting I can do?? The linkage is hooked up properly. I don't know what else to do....

A test to make sure it's the bladder would be to put it all together and try it. If the cruise doesn't hold and your speed starts to drift, it's the bladder leaking. If the leak is around the edge, you can try putting it back together with a little back RTV around the edge. Might work for a little while, but eventually you will have to replace it. Unfortunately, they don't make them anymore. I got lucky and was able to find a good used one for my wifes 300. John premium360.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back