• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Speedometer issues, Speedo Cable? 66 Coronet

SassyPants

Local time
4:25 PM
Reaction score
Hi Team, I am doing my best to get the dash together correctly. Getting no reading on the Speedometer when I run the car with wheels off the ground. When I drop the Dash down, there seems to be A LOT of speedo cable behind the dash. Perhaps I have it routed incorrectly?

This is how I have the cable routed, from the Trans, along the bottom of the car, Inside the Clutch Z Bar, up behind the Brake Booster and finally up through the Fire Wall? The speedo Cable is pretty tight against the fire wall on the way up to going inside. I might need some of this slack that is inside the dash area to go back into the Engine Compartment in order to relieve stress on the Cable??

When I take the speedo cable off the Trans, put on a drill, the speedo will Bounce up to about 10 mph, drill going full blast. So, trying to figure out how to sort out the Speedo Cable. Help Please, B.

You may have a replacement speedometer cable that's too long. There shold not be a lot of slack in the cable but it does need to be routed to permit as large of radius of turns as reasonably possible. Have your gages been gone through including the speedometer? Also, I have run into problems with some cables where the inner cable is too short for the outer cable sheath allowing the cable to fail to make good engagement at one end or the other.

-- _ _ _ _ _ - Any recommendations? Thanks B. --
-- I had issues with My speedometer accuracy - got tired of it, and added a GPS Speedometer, from AMAZON - about $28. and it' works great. -- ( It's not a Mopar)
Falcon - GPS Speedometer and Clock.JPG

You may have a replacement speedometer cable that's too long. There shold not be a lot of slack in the cable but it does need to be routed to permit as large of radius of turns as reasonably possible. Have your gages been gone through including the speedometer? Also, I have run into problems with some cables where the inner cable is too short for the outer cable sheath allowing the cable to fail to make good engagement at one end or the other.

There is a 99 pct chance that this is the original Speedo. My Father In Law bought the car as a Demonstrator one year old. It has been in the family since then. So, it is an original car. I did take out the gauges but I did not ReDo the Speedo. It was working when we brought the car home. I might take a few Pics of how I have it routed. There is PLENTY of cable in by the gauge with the dash secured. Let me get a couple of pics for us to look at. Thank you to all. Back in a bit with some Pics.

B.

OH, love the Falcon Sprint. My High School Buddy had a 64 Falcon Sprint with 289. It was a cool car. Precursor to the little Stang. B.

Ok, so here is the routing that I now have from Trans to Speedo. I hope we can enlarge them so we can see them. My first attempt at loading more than one or two pics.

IMG_4300.jpg IMG_4301.jpg IMG_4302.jpg IMG_4304.jpg IMG_4303.jpg

So, From the Trans, over the top of the Exhaust into that small clip headed towards the engine compartment. Then up between the firewall and the Z Bar of the Clutch and into the FireWall. From the Fire Wall up through the half Clip and finally around through the hole behind the Speedo to the speedo. When the dash is up in place, there is a big kink in the speedo cable (I think) just behind the Speedo. As I say, it seems like there is too much Speedo Cable inside the car?? But, if that is the case, it would have to go more out into the Engine Compartment?? Where to put slack? Thanks, B.

AAAAha!, I think I finally found a pic that can help me. Here is the original position from the Top Side. The pic was taken just as we pulled the car out of the barn. Notice the Speedo Wire is on the Engine Bay Side of the Clutch Z Bar. I will give that a try to see if that helps. I do not know if this can be saved to help others in case it happens to them, but here we go. You can see in the "original" shot that the Speedo Cable is on the Engine Side of the Z Bar as compared to today when it is tucked up close to the Fire Wall between the Z Bar and the fire wall. So, I have a bit of a chore ahead of me today to remove the Speedo Cable and reposition it. Then a Test. I will let you know how it goes. Best, B.

IMG_1558.jpeg IMG_4307.jpg

Update, I pulled the Speedo Cable from under the car, freed it from the Clutch Z Bar and ran it out to the side of the Car. Hooked up the drill and wife had a look at the Speedo while I put some speed to the Speedo Cable with the drill. BOOM! we got a reading on the Speedometer. What I also found is that when checking the Speedo through the cable with a drill, the drill needs to be in reverse to read on the Speedometer. So, I am now going to re install Speedo Cable into the Trans and give that a try again. Fingers Crossed. Best B.

Final Update- Installed the Speedo Cable back in the Trans, started motor, put it in Second, let out the clutch in second gear and WOW, the speedo worked and was solid. :) And man, am I a happy camper. Now on to the next project. Thanks to all for listening and helping. Appreciate you all. B.

@AR67GTX Like to ask you a question but your inbox is full.

Only posted here thread problem solved. Thanks sassypants.

Auto Transport Service
Back