• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spilling Fuel on Fill Up...66 Satellite

Pugly

Local time
8:00 PM
Reaction score
I have a hard time filling up my 66 Satellite, the fuel always seems to run back out the filler unless I go really slow on the pump. Sometimes I can angle the filler just right (as in upside down) and I can put some gallons in normally, but even then it will start backing up the fill tube and start leaking out. It's been this way since I bought the car.

I have read that this is probably a vent problem with the Vent tube that runs from the fuel neck into the tank, maybe the hoses are collapsed or some kind of blockage.

So I pulled the Fuel Neck and Vent tube out of the car and even though the hoses are old, there is no blockage. The Last metal part of the vent tube would not pull out of the tank, so I blew compressed air in it and it didn't appear to be blocked.

I have new elbows to put the car back together with, but would like to know is there something else I need to do before I put it back together, or what might the problem be.

Is there a sock on the vent tube hose inside the tank? and maybe that's why it didn't want to pull out? Or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

Can you see the angles on the fill tube? Not sure on yours, but had a similar incident and the tube had an area that basically created a lack of slope.

My 66 Satellite has always done the same thing. I ended up buying some fuel bibs to soak up and gas that flows out of the filler. I didn't check the vent tubes though. Something to do this winter I guess.

This is normal, you just have to pump slow, upside down, however works best. Stations with old pumps are typically easiest.

The top front of the tank should have 1 or 2 vent nipples with 1/4" or so rubber hose on them. They are the tank vents, and difficulty filling will result if they are plugged. Little critter like to make nests in the small holes.

Hope this helps...

Yep, always had to fill mine slowly. Always figured it was the nature of the beast.

Can you see the angles on the fill tube? Not sure on yours, but had a similar incident and the tube had an area that basically created a lack of slope.

My fill tube does have a area that goes up slightly but doesn't carry the area of the whole tube.

If Everybody is having the same issue, then I guess it's time for a redesign. It may take me a couple of months, but I will find a way to fix it. Wonder where I can buy a fuel nozzle like the stations have?

Last edited:
Pugly,

I have a brand new tank, all new rubber hose connectors, cleaned/ inspected every metal tube. If I don't have the pump nozzle 'just right' gas is coming back up the filler neck. I'm thinking it's due to unleaded nozzles being smaller. Those of us gassing cars 'in the olden days' remember nozzles were larger...more volume with lower pressure. They made unleaded nozzles smaller so people couldn't put (cheaper) leaded gas in their newer, unleaded cars. The current unleaded nozzles are less volume higher pressure to maintain the same rate of flow. This higher velocity does not work well with the bends in our systems.

Last edited:
My first car was a 66 Belvedere and I started driving that in 67 and remember having fill issues at some stations and my present 66 had them too. The fill tube makes too many turns imo for it to fill as fast as some nozzles can go. My Challenger which had pretty much a straight shot to the take never had a problem filling...

I just got a 67 Satellite, and had the same issue each time I filled up. Sometimes it would over flow onto my nice paint job, some times it wouldn,t. Whats the best way to clean up the gas stains on the paint? Rubbing compound? Wax? What would protect the paint?

Same problem with my 67 GTX also. I thought it was a partially blocked vent but sounds like it's just a victim of poor design and fuel nozzle changes. I will have to try the upside down nozzle trick. A good cleaner wax should clean up any fuel OK on a urethane paint job - otherwise try some polishing compound (not rubbing compound). If you have an old lacquer paint job you will probably get permanent damage.

I keep a clean microfiber or microsuede cloth on hand and a bottle of meguiar's quick detailer too. Spray and wipe immediately if splashes happen

Yep Same here, all new hoses, tank, vent and sending unit. Still have to take my time.

Yep, same thing with my 66 Belvedere. It's the angle of the dangle of the fuel filler pipe. I think that first turn is the killer. My 66 Charger has no issues at all but the filler is behind a door and the opening is more straight up. My 67 Ranchero is like the Belvedere and also difficult to fill. I aim the handle towards the rear of the car and that seems to do well. Up side down doesn't work for me nor 180 deg from that. Try aiming to the hose to the rear and push the boot up tight to the fill pipe (assuming you have the vapor collection boot as in CA). I'm working on a fix too as I have two 66 Belvederes.

I have a hard time filling up my 66 Satellite, the fuel always seems to run back out the filler unless I go really slow on the pump. Sometimes I can angle the filler just right (as in upside down) and I can put some gallons in normally, but even then it will start backing up the fill tube and start leaking out. It's been this way since I bought the car.

I have read that this is probably a vent problem with the Vent tube that runs from the fuel neck into the tank, maybe the hoses are collapsed or some kind of blockage.

So I pulled the Fuel Neck and Vent tube out of the car and even though the hoses are old, there is no blockage. The Last metal part of the vent tube would not pull out of the tank, so I blew compressed air in it and it didn't appear to be blocked.

I have new elbows to put the car back together with, but would like to know is there something else I need to do before I put it back together, or what might the problem be.

Is there a sock on the vent tube hose inside the tank? and maybe that's why it didn't want to pull out? Or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.
Same issue with me...have to put the nozzel in sideways and hang on...also would spill fuel on right turns...corrected by installing a locking gas cap

Characteristic. 69 Coronet. Spill-back for 25 years. Fuel "nose down" at stations when having a choice.

I was working at garages in the mid to late '70's when the new unleaded nozzles came out. Had a lot of issues with the older cars. You didn't leave the nozzle unattended while fueling. They would fill up and run over without shutting off! Especially with the " behind the tag in the bumper" models. Ford's where the worst. Chevelles were bad too. The old nozzles were the size of the diesel ones you use today. They made the hole in the unleaded cars smaller so you couldnt put the larger leaded nozzle in it. Kinda stupid because leaded was phased out.

Put on a set of air shocks and pump em up to the max. Should get the perfect fill angle then! LOL! :headbang:

Auto Transport Service
Back