• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stage VI Max Wedge rocker question

Scott Kiger

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:59 AM
Reaction score
Yeah I know there are better options out there, but I got these for a song and they are new. Dave at KG Engines is getting ready to work his magic on them and they should work great on my
500” bracket engine. Anyway, they came with a used set of Mopar Performance offset roller rockers. Great shape. But they don’t have the rocker shafts. I debated on buying a set of Harland Sharp’s, but I am wondering what y’all think. And if y’all say these are good rockers to run do these heads and rockers require a special shaft to run them? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Get hard chromed shafts. The diameters should all be the same. some have "Bananna slots" for
oiling, some don't. They just need to be spaced correctly.

You can get the banana ones from Hughes.... and others I'm sure.

Thanks for the info guys. These Mopar rockers be ok or should I drop the coin on Harland Sharp’s?

Thanks for the info guys. These Mopar rockers be ok or should I drop the coin on Harland Sharp’s?
Without pics, we don't know what you have. Stage VI could use stock rockers. Assuming you have adjustable iron rockers, and assuming they are in good shape, I would buy good shafts and run em. Much better/stronger than some aluminum rollers out there. I ran iron adjustables on a .590 solid for years.

Without pics, we don't know what you have. Stage VI could use stock rockers. Assuming you have adjustable iron rockers, and assuming they are in good shape, I would buy good shafts and run em. Much better/stronger than some aluminum rollers out there. I ran iron adjustables on a .590 solid for years.

They are the Mopar Performance blue aluminum roller tipped offset rockers for these heads in 1.5 ratio. Sorry for the confusion

I believe the blue mopars were built by Crane, basically crane golds, anodized a different color.
I have run offset crane golds too, on a roller cammed maxwedge. They are very good rockers.

The only question is,, why do you say they're offset.

stage 6? Never herd of stage 6 VI = 6 IV = 4

stage 6? Never herd of stage 6 VI = 6 IV = 4
Mopar over the counter head, from more than fifteen years ago. iF, memory serves, an aluminum version of the stage IV, pretty much just an aluminum version of the iron IV, tho there might have been a maxwedge version. Rumor has it, there were some problems with the castings.

People who haven't handled these heads and don't know first hand what they are talking about should just be quiet.

The stage 6 MW Head requires the .480 offset intake rockers.
If the plan is to use a cam that will have 600lbs open spring force or less, the MP rockers will be fine.
There are two versions of the MW stg 6.
Straight plug with normal heart shaped chamber, and angle plug with an odd, more kidney shaped chamber.

It they're going on an RB block, you’ll either need to use one of the dedicated stg 6 intake manifolds, or an RB intake with the spacers.

The stage 6 MW Head requires the .480 offset intake rockers.
If the plan is to use a cam that will have 600lbs open spring force or less, the MP rockers will be fine.
There are two versions of the MW stg 6.
Straight plug with normal heart shaped chamber, and angle plug with an odd, more kidney shaped chamber.

It they're going on an RB block, you’ll either need to use one of the dedicated stg 6 intake manifolds, or an RB intake with the spacers.

This is exactly the type of info I was looking for. Thanks a bunch.

I suppose I should also add, that if you’re using the heads on a low deck block....... then you just use an RB intake without any spacers.
Since the heads are MW size, you’ll want to use a manifold with MW sized ports.

Or you can use a B intake with the spacers, but that isn’t really the preferred choice.

As for the rockers, before you bolt the heads down, mock up the rocker gear and check for pushrod interference, primarily the intakes. The pushrod tunnels often need a little massaging.

And just an FYI, the extra offset Crane Golds were only like .290” offset....... which is not nearly enough to work with the MW stage 6.

And, something I would do right off the bat is, set the heads on a block.
You’re looking to make sure the heads fit over the dowel pins.
Then make sure you can get all the head bolts in.

Last edited:
I suppose I should also add, that if you’re using the heads on a low deck block....... then you just use an RB intake without any spacers.
Since the heads are MW size, you’ll want to use a manifold with MW sized ports.

Or you can use a B intake with the spacers, but that isn’t really the preferred choice.

As for the rockers, before you bolt the heads down, mock up the rocker gear and check for pushrod interference, primarily the intakes. The pushrod tunnels often need a little massaging.

And just an FYI, the extra offset Crane Golds were only like .290” offset....... which is not nearly enough to work with the MW stage 6.

And, something I would do right off the bat is, set the heads on a block.
You’re looking to make sure the heads fit over the dowel pins.
Then make sure you can get all the head bolts in.

I figured you would know so I’ll ask, what’s the best forming intake with these heads? Engine will be a 500” RB based full roller race engine. I have always like the Victor series in the past but there may something better.

The “Super Victor” is the MW offering from Edelbrock.
I haven’t personally used one of those on anything myself.

Just keep in mind, like I said previously, any intake other than a dedicated stage 6 manifold will need spacers be used between the manifold and heads, if you’re using an RB block.
They’re going to be about 3/4” thick.
MP used to sell them....... might be able to find some if you dig around.
Just keep in mind you’ll need the MW sized version.

Without the spacers , the mismatch will be the same as trying to run a 383 manifold on a 440.

If you go the spacer route(as opposed to the stage 6 intake), my preference is to mount the spacers to the heads, and port/flow the heads with the spacers in place.

The two MP stage 6 intake part numbers(the number in the catalog and on the box......not to be confused with the number cast/etched onto the manifold) are:
P4876128 for a 4150 carb
P4876129 for a 4500 carb

B94C28CE-82AA-4AAC-9FC6-AEFD805D3275.jpeg

After doing a little digging, it appears as though the part number P4876129 intake would have the number “P4532758” on the manifold itself.
The P4876128 has number “P4532757” on it.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back