• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Starlink internet

hoover

Local time
9:48 PM
Reaction score
Does anybody have experience with starlink internet?

I am considering getting it.
My place is near a "scenic" riverway which means we have lousy cell service and internet so the tourists don't have to see cell towers.

It appears that there is no waiting list for the RV version, but there is a wait time to get a residential one.
I am wondering if i should get the portable one.

My neighbor has it, says it rocks! Down/upload speeds are damn near instant.

Thinking I may get it when we get to Texas.

Nextlink? Their internet is good, and if a tower goes down it’s fixed pretty quick, even on the weekends.

My biggest issue with nextlink is their customer service. Recently I had them for my house, sold the house and moved. Well even though they said my new place can be reached, after an hour the guy said no internet. So I called them explained the situation, and they said I’m terminating my contract early and pay us $400. I’ve been kinda battling them for 3 weeks now, because they’ll transfer me to a few different departments and people, then they’ll say oh this person isn’t here, they’ll call back later and won’t. And it seems every time I call I get a different answer.

I could bw completely wrong. But a contract is 2 sided. We do x you do x. We provide internet, you pay. So it’s my understanding we don’t provide internet, you don’t pay.

So as long as you don’t have any kinda of billing issue, nextlink is decent I guess

Just looked Starlink up, $110 a month. They're talking about 1TB limit but not limited yet. My internet is Cox and they limit to 1TB they charge overage. There 3 people here online 12 hrs a day came close to 1TB. Cox charges $50 extra a month for unlimited data.

As soon as I can get it, I will be going with it. Kinda like Elon now. don't care for the car
, but like his new attitude.:) Reviews have been good.

An electronics tech I know has it as it's all he can get where he lives. He says it's great... when he has it. It cuts out on him and they told him it will be better when they get more satellites put up. $110 is over twice what I pay for cable internet. I had internet in the RV, that was $80 per month a few years ago.

Sorry - off subject but I’m originally from MN and have been to your area many times and love the beauty of Taylor’s Falls. It’s been a minute but never gets old.

We switched from Hughes to Starlink about 6 months ago. They are the only options where we live. Starlink blows hughesnet away.

My only complain with Starlink is their communication. You sign up and wait for them to say it's ready and there is no way to communicate with them in the meantime, except to cancel your order. It's bizarre..... but that's what yo get with a madman at the helm of the company I guess. I was supposed to get it in a few months, but it was the height of supply problems and ended up taking a year. It was worth the wait.

Set up was very easy, and the equipment arrived in just a couple of days once we had the go-ahead. Sorry - don't have the RV style so cannot give you any feedback on that system.

My wife bought the RV Starlink several months ago. We have never had cable internet (the fastest option). We have had Hughesnet (satellite) and two other types of hotspot based (cell phone tech) internet. The Starlink if far and away faster than any of those previous options. The download speeds are much faster and the upload speeds are a good bit faster as well. The one hiccup is it has an infrequent tendency to drop during live streaming videos (like a Zoom call or online gaming), but it is not frequent enough to be a concern. It works great for streaming movies and TV. We pay approximately $130 a month (probably because she got it so early), but I expect the prices will come down a little more. As long as you have never had cable internet as a comparison, you will not be disappointed in the Starlink.

One side note, the original RV version only comes with a 50 foot cable, so you might want to order the 150 foot cable depending on where you set it up. Also, I believe the Starlink has to have a mostly unobstructed view of the northern sky.

My neighbor has it, says it rocks! Down/upload speeds are damn near instant.

Thinking I may get it when we get to Texas.
Did he do a speed test? From what I've read, the Starlink downloads range from 40 to 93 Mbps, depending on the area of the country (and it's lower in Canada due to the sight lines). Upload speeds are a lot slower than that. I'm on fibre-optic and get 330 Mbps both up and down with the option for 1000 if I felt it was needed, so Starlink may be a good option in rural areas but it can't compete on speed where I am.

And that’s what Starlink is for, rural areas. He’s a techy guy, got Tesla solar, battery backup and Starlink all together. I have no idea what his speed is, but he said it’s faster than RanchWiFi (that’s what our neighborhood has).

40 to 93 Mpbs is more than enough bandwidth for basically everyone unless multiple people are "streaming" not "watching" hd video at the same time. Most of us don't stream video at all unless you're a youtube star with a large audience. Paying for more bandwidth is a waste of money unless you really need it or share your connection with at least 10 other people.

Unobstructed northern view, well that ends it for me. Unless I put the dish in front yard. Have a 50' wide x 140' access lot. If I put the dish 70' from road I'd need to run 120' to house. Trees near my house are 80/90 feet tall.

40 to 93 Mpbs is more than enough bandwidth for basically everyone unless multiple people are "streaming" not "watching" hd video at the same time. Most of us don't stream video at all unless you're a youtube star with a large audience. Paying for more bandwidth is a waste of money unless you really need it or share your connection with at least 10 other people.
Upload a large family video to someone and you start appreciating faster speeds. :)

Sorry - off subject but I’m originally from MN and have been to your area many times and love the beauty of Taylor’s Falls. It’s been a minute but never gets old.
I've lived here my whole life, we take it for granted. I love it here

I've had Starlink about a year now and honestly I love it. Where I live it was either thru satellite or point to point (similar to cellular) type fast internet. So for me this was a game changer. They are supposedly going to throttle you back if you go over the 1TB number.

I was on the waitlist about a year before I was able to get mine.

Auto Transport Service
Back