• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Starter issue on my gen 2 hemi.

Beekeeper

It’s a disease without a cure!
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:53 PM
Reaction score
so I got the hemi back on the run stand for the second time after repairing the rear main seal.
the first time it was on there it cranked every time I hit the starter well now that I have it back on the stand sometimes when I hit the start button the starter just grinds instead of moving on out to mesh up. Other times it cranks as expected when it does not mesh correctly I can turn the engine by hand a few degrees and it will crank like normal. Two things are different than the first time around with one being I installed the clutch and moved the bell straight up
.014 thousandths to dial it in. Any ideas why it’s doing this now?

What starter are you using? I had to clearance my block a bit to accommodate a mini starter. It was causing the starter to not fit flush against the bellhousing and making it intermittent. Lots of people jumped in the idea saying I should have clearanced the starter, but I figured if I ever had to change the starter out I wouldn’t have to do it again by clearancing the block instead.

What starter are you using? I had to clearance my block a bit to accommodate a mini starter. It was causing the starter to not fit flush against the bellhousing and making it intermittent. Lots of people jumped in the idea saying I should have clearanced the starter, but I figured if I ever had to change the starter out I wouldn’t have to do it again by clearancing the block instead.

Mini starter and no clearance issues at all this same starter cranked my 440 for 5 years and never had one problem. It looks like a new one and the gear looks good with no noticeable wear but it just seems like the solenoid isn’t pushing the gear into mesh when the ring gear isn’t lined up just right and I never acted up the first time I had this engine on the stand.

I didn’t think I had any too until used a little modelling clay in the inside closest to the block. Then I realized the problem for me. Hope you can figure it out.

Thanks I will give it a closer inspection thanks for the tip!

Another important thing I forgot to mention is the bell is a Lakewood and I’m using the mid plate as well. This bell and mid plate came from my 440 along with this starter.

I don’t see any interference between the starter and block. Here’s a few pics that may help
726B5BA5-8B55-475C-803B-87AFC88A1A35.jpeg
91F2E406-3B02-42B5-B25A-31B9A9DCB21F.jpeg
FF98FA45-EBF7-49AB-A0A4-57D5EC8E9171.jpeg
EB04C8CF-5F0C-4006-958E-85C9E051906F.jpeg
0BF29176-D845-4226-B068-7432ABA70589.jpeg

I think i figured it out. there’s some side to side play in the starter and the opening so I moved the starter outboard as much as possible and so far it hasn’t acted up.

Some starters have oversized hole for one of the bolts they need to have a bushing in them On my Cummins Hemi block The casting was offset I had to grind a lot off the block so the starter wouldn’t hit

I slid a piece of cardboard between block and starter to check clearance fit no problem. I was able to remove the plastic terminal extension.

I slid a piece of cardboard between block and starter to check clearance fit no problem. I was able to remove the plastic terminal extension.

Thanks Fran,
I have plenty of clearance around the starter I could remove the extension as well and probably should. Hopefully it will work as intended now

8043261C-BA69-4D3F-A16C-AE5DFF11A359.jpeg

The area I had clearance issues was on the block. Circled in blue. I have a low deck 400 though so maybe they are different.

Also you can remove the plastic piece that the green arrow points too if you want. That’s gets the cables further way

Auto Transport Service
Back