• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Starter too close to header?

Seems typical, I like to put a heat shield in between, or though some might faint at the thought, you could dent the tube some.
If all else fails, hit it with a hammer.

I ordered one of those and there wasn't enough room to install it. Good luck. My dakota mini starter currently has such a small gap I can't get a heat shield in there. I overcame any heat soak issues by upsizing my positive and negative battery cables from 6 AWG to 1 AWG. Less resistance, more current for starter cranking. Problems solved.
The positive battery cable is on the block side and at the front of the starter. How would up sizing the battery cable resolve header clearance.

yep. Or just buy TTI. They just work and fit perfectly.
Sorry to contradict but you still have to dimple the header tube at the back of a RobbMc starter and use double TTI gaskets in order to stop the header from touching the starter. When I called TTI they said when they first started making TTIs 30 years ago they found the RobbMC to be the best fit however was told now that they have all the jigs set up they are not going to start re configuring their headers to keep up with the times of the many mini starter choices available today.

Auto Transport Service
Back