• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Starter wire question

jerry

Local time
12:37 AM
Reaction score
Finishing up a 68 Coronet RT. Need a pic of the wire that powers the starter.
Goes from the relay I guess. Also where does the neg battery wire hook up and where does the motor ground go? Got this car in boxes and didn't see it together.
Thank You

Finishing up a 68 Coronet RT. Need a pic of the wire that powers the starter.
Goes from the relay I guess. Also where does the neg battery wire hook up and where does the motor ground go? Got this car in boxes and didn't see it together.
Thank You

For diagrams you can see them here:

http://www.mymopar.com/66to71_wiring.htm

Neg batt connects to front of block.

1970+Chrysler+Starter_1.jpg

The smaller wire connects to the small post, and the larger wire connects to the larger post.

I appreciate your help, but I need pictures if anyone can help.
Thank You

Your engine is the ground for your starter, The large red wire (+ side of battery) goes to the large nut in that picture on the solenoid, the other wire goes from the starter relay down to the small post on solenoid. Starter relay should be up by windshield wiper motor this image shows a standard starter relay, the wire you run from solenoid up to relay hooks to the square one beside the large nut. There should be two wires on that square one, silver colored, solenoid and one goes else-where so you don't get confused. I hope this helps you some, sounds confusing but not as bad as you think. If you really want a picture and a lot more information AutoZone carry's the Haynes Repair Manuel thats a great help for all things relating to problems for your car. You should have two GOOD grounds for the engine, one to firewall and one to body, make sure they are clean of rust, grease, paint before hook ups. Good luck Ron

getimage.gif

Here also is wiring diagram for front of car, its a large file you can save it to your computer for future help.. Good luck again. Ron
68CoronetB.gif

bear with me guy just trying to help, i had this handy, its the rest of the wiring for your car front and rear, you may need them in the future, save in a document folder if you want quick access. Ron
68CoronetA.gif

Ground is an AC term for the green non current conducting safety wire that goes to "earth" for safety. ...no grounds in DC wiring. It is a "negative". You are not "grounding" anything in DC wiring...You are completing a round trip for the electricity, pos and neg, in a circle, not dissipating current to a ground. (AC)

The negative wire connects to a bolt on top of the engine in stock "correct". Take the negative wire from the battery to a starter mounting bolt for less current loss when starting. Connect the top of the block to the frame for lighter current draws. Use 1/0 wire if you want bad *** starting. The red positive wire goes to the square solenoid on the bulkhead, and another red pos wire goes from the other big stud on the solenoid to the starter motor.

Jerry,

A word to the wise. Be very careful to get the wiring correct. The neutral switch for the transmission - if it is an automatic, goes to the relay to. If you wire these incorrectly the gauges, gas, temp, alt, can all be trashed.

Diagrams may be purchased relatively cheap. I will send you a pic of mine 1969 R/T if you still need one. Also I have a copy of the diagram I can send you.

It will be Tuesday before I can get to it.

I am looking to start up for the first time this week. I am very thankful for all of your time and help. I'm glad I asked. I have a set of new batt cables and there is only the heavy blk and red wires. I have all new Year 1 wiring throughout the car. I guess I have to tie in a separate red to the relay?And down to solenoid?

The motor ground can run from anywhere on the block to the body of the car. I have one running from each head to the body. One heavt red wire runs from the battery to the relay and a second heavy red wire runs from the relay to the large lug on the starter. A smaller wire from the starter solenoid also runs from the relay to the relay. The large one actually powers the starter motor and the smaller one actuated the soleniod.

More grounds the better... Lots of problems are because of grounds, Mopar loves them for sure. Good luck with the first start up.. Soon everyone will be out and cruising the highways.

I'm not sure still of the heavy cable. Do I run the battery positive cable straight to the starter or do I run it to the relay?
The wiring diagram shows a red from batt to relay and relay to starter, but there is only 1 lug on the relay.
A pic would be GREAT.
Thanks, Jerry

I'm not sure still of the heavy cable. Do I run the battery positive cable straight to the starter or do I run it to the relay?
The wiring diagram shows a red from batt to relay and relay to starter, but there is only 1 lug on the relay.
A pic would be GREAT.
Thanks, Jerry

your power wire (from the battery) to the starter, then you will have a power wire from the battery to the "post" on the starter relay (arrow B)... then you will have a wire from "G" on your relay to your starter solenoid.

Attachments

• 4574enf_26.jpeg
    4574enf_26.jpeg
    9.6 KB · Views: 3,695
THANK YOU.
I realized last night that I don't have a factory battery cable set. There lies my problem. It seems to me that if I run my battery cable to the starter, run a heavy jumper from starter to post on relay, and run wire from solenoid to relay, I'll achieve the same. And of course hook up the neutral safety wire.
Have I got it?

If I get it started, I'll send short video.
Jerry

You point out G as the solenoid wire, but my relay has SOL next to S,

Wire terminal "G" is the auto transmission neutral safety switch,provides the relay coil ground. The "I" terminal is 12v feed from ignition switch,"B" is battery and "S" is to the starter solenoid.

Thats alright. I think the problem is in the dash itself. I'll remove it on Monday and take a look. Anyone have a spare standard dash cluster for a 68 Coronet?

your power wire (from the battery) to the starter, then you will have a power wire from the battery to the "post" on the starter relay (arrow B)... then you will have a wire from "G" on your relay to your starter solenoid.

Had to dig this out…

What size wire is the smaller power wire that goes straight from battery+ to the post of the starter relay?

Auto Transport Service
Back