• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Starting the resto process 69 GTX

moparfanUSA

Local time
10:38 AM
Reaction score
Well the madness begins. I started to tear my 69 GTX apart. I am learning about it everyday. I was fortune it to speak to one of the old owners of this car and he shed alot of info on it. I knew the car was all numbers matching, but I thought that maybe the engine had some work done to it, but I found out only the heads were redone. The motor still has almost the factory parts in it. Anyway I am posting some pictures of the process and will update it as I work on it. Here it is before I started.

1969 GTX 005.jpg

1st part

I was amazed at the floor pans, they look like almost factory new. some very small surface rust spots. Here are a few more.

IMG_2383.jpg

IMG_2384.jpg

IMG_2495.jpg

Wow, your in good shape! What are your plans?, do you know how much body work needs to be done?, just a repaint?.

well...

almost all of the body is clean with almost no rust. I am going to replace the front fender, it has a little bondo on it and I have one off another 69 in great shape. I am stripping the paint off and taking all of the windows out. As you can see the interior is out of it now. I am having the engine rebuilt. I'm praying that I do not have to bore the block to .030 over. The car is all stock, except little this, like the Alt. has been replaced. I was blown away, but the 3 of the 4 headlights had 68 and 69 stamped on them. Any way I will not be doing the frame this time......too much money, besides I want it back on the road next May.

IMG_2496.jpg

In NJ, but a CA car

Lived most of it's life in upsate NY in a barn.
Donny, I was thinking of you today. I brought a small blast cabinet to clean small parts.....tried it out tonight...way cool. You must really like what you do.

options

It came with Factory air, still has its original tinted glass. Power brakes and steering.

It is fun...to an extent, but, when you're in a blast suite, helmet, and a heavy *** hose, dusty, hot and sweaty, I think of 2 things; 1. Get it clean and 2. $150.00 per hour! :) Nice car!

RESTO!?! That thing is spotless!! Put the rug back in and drive it. Call it done!

RESTO!?! That thing is spotless!! Put the rug back in and drive it. Call it done!

That's exactly what I was thinking.......I wonder if the previous owner has any more of these project cars.

Engine

Here is the engine. I am taking it out this weekend.

would help if I added the picture

here it is

IMG_2494.jpg

I'm noticing the interesting location of the tune up sticker. Never seen one on the cowl before. Take good notes and lots of pictures so you can duplicate exactly all these interesting details.

pictures

I have been taking ALOT of pictures, so I can put it back the way I see them in the pictures.

nice car,a friend of mine has one that same color,he just had his redone.

engine out

Took out the engine yesterday. Also took off the bumpers and all of the wiring harness. I have some one coming to take the glass out next week, then it is off to the body shop.

IMG_2545.jpg

IMG_2546.jpg

IMG_2533.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back