• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Station Wagon Tailpipe Exit Location??

TLH101

Local time
4:18 PM
Reaction score
For the wagon owners in the group. Gonna have dual exhaust put on my old '63 wagon this week.
Where did you exit your tailpipes?? I drive 90% of the time, with the rear window down, and don't want exhaust fume coming in.

thumbnail_20210616_110113.jpg thumbnail_20210627_120201.jpg

The factory brackets were still in place then I installed this pipe.

20210809_102608.jpg 20210714_104508.jpg

For the wagon owners in the group. Gonna have dual exhaust put on my old '63 wagon this week.
Where did you exit your tailpipes?? I drive 90% of the time, with the rear window down, and don't want exhaust fume coming in.

View attachment 1150150 View attachment 1150151
Love that car! I have been looking at photos on the net for a good example. I sure don't like the exhaust to blow down towards the ground. It stirs up a lot of dust (for your car and others) What does the the underside behind the rear axle look like? Is there a foot well for the rear seat? Room for tail pipes?

I dont have a third seat. The foot well is behind the spare tire. Spare stay in place and feet find room around and behind it. As you can is in picture ,plenty of room for the pipes.

20210809_103839.jpg 20210809_103828.jpg

Open back window is why the factory put the wagon tailpipes around the corner to the side. (I grew up riding in the back of a 62 Chrysler wagon...)

Came out as posted but don't think at a 90* angle more 60*s and end of pipe was cut at an angle.

On a 64 wagon there is no provision for a spare tire on the right side. The only place is under the floor.

A bit later than yours, but my 71 Fury Custom Suburban had the tailpipe exit at the corner of the bumper/quarter panel.

On a 64 wagon there is no provision for a spare tire on the right side. The only place is under the floor.
I stand corrected. I located a 1964 Motor Trend test drive of a Fury 3-seat station wagon. It had a nice picture of tester lifting up rear seat bottom to reveal the spare tire in the well. There was also mention of limited foot room there. I learned something new here.

I've had rear-exit duals on my '72 Satellite wagon for years. I also run with the back window open, and get very little in way of fumes. Now, mine is a non-a/c car and I generally have windows and under-dash vents open for max airflow...but the only time I really get fumes is sitting at a light, and even that's not "oh my god I'm choking"...more like "(sniff) hmm...might be running a bit rich...I'll sort that when I get home".

Now, my '72 DOES have the left quarter panel suitcase gas tank, and the right quarter panel spare tire, so side-exits weren't really an option...

Auto Transport Service
Back