• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steel wheel look with no dog dish?

When I restored this car I went with disc front brakes,so 15" steel. wheels were powder coated and then installed with new MT tires. After ordering ....my dumb mistake is that no mopar dog dish will fit on these speedway steel wheels.

So what do you think?

leave it ..... looks cool ?

change out to cop wheels to run (Original ... That I have) dog dish?

Change out to Us mag period correct rims ?

383 4 speed car ....original factory color

I would like to keep this car a period correct hot rod look from the 60s -70s era.

Thanks ....

View attachment 1576696

View attachment 1576697

I tried a set of dog dishes on the front and didn't like them as much as without. I'm using Coopers also.
20171120_152151.jpg

I guess I’m a “fancy pants” guy:rofl:
View attachment 1577173

I'm contemplating Americans on the front. They are period correct. Yours looks great!

Back in the day we would always remove the factory caps, and run steel wheels or buy
"mags", if we had the money. I worked at two Chry-ply dealerships from 69 to 79 and those Dd caps were used MOSTLY on cheapo 6 banger cars. NOBODY would dare run DD caps on their cars, back then!

Last edited:
IMO, please leave it as is. It looks Period Tough, tires notwithstanding. The thickness of the powder coating screwed up the possibility of the dogs' fitting.

Another thing about NOT running caps..
Don't know if anyone remembers that back in the day drag strips required you to remove caps/covers if you wanted to go down the track.

When I restored this car I went with disc front brakes,so 15" steel. wheels were powder coated and then installed with new MT tires. After ordering ....my dumb mistake is that no mopar dog dish will fit on these speedway steel wheels.

So what do you think?

leave it ..... looks cool ?

change out to cop wheels to run (Original ... That I have) dog dish?

Change out to Us mag period correct rims ?

383 4 speed car ....original factory color

I would like to keep this car a period correct hot rod look from the 60s -70s era.

Thanks ....

View attachment 1576696

View attachment 1576697

Can you lower the front end? As a potential option or solution, do you want to consider it? To me, the look is more the stance versus wheels.

As much as I love torque thrusts,if the wheels on my 65 weren’t crap they’d still be on there. Rears were wider,crusty,one bent. Maybe get some torque thrusts or period correct wheels of your liking and put them on the front once in a while to change up the look

Save your money for something else - that car screams performance just the way it sits!

Auto Transport Service
Back