• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steel wheel look with no dog dish?

jimbosride

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:55 AM
Reaction score
When I restored this car I went with disc front brakes,so 15" steel. wheels were powder coated and then installed with new MT tires. After ordering ....my dumb mistake is that no mopar dog dish will fit on these speedway steel wheels.

So what do you think?

leave it ..... looks cool ?

change out to cop wheels to run (Original ... That I have) dog dish?

Change out to Us mag period correct rims ?

383 4 speed car ....original factory color

I would like to keep this car a period correct hot rod look from the 60s -70s era.

Thanks ....

20230426_134201.jpg

20231006_195526.jpg

Last edited:
I think your car looks GREAT the way she is. I really like the stagger on the rims. I had a 68' Dart once
with pretty much the combo you have now. Every one who saw it liked it. Also remember, Super Stock
cars from the factory came with the hub caps in the trunk. They almost NEVER were put on for racing.
I far as I'm concerned, you've got that 60's look right on!

Last edited:
My opinion? Your car looks far better right now than it would with dog dish caps on it.

Last edited:
a period correct hot rod look from the 60s -70s era.

I think your car looks GREAT the way she is.
I'm a Old School guy stuck in the 60's. I agree with both of the above statements.
I am also a wheel and tire junky and swap wheels around as soon as I grow tired of the looks.
Nothing modern something like aluminum slots on the front and steelies on the rear.
I do like the 65 Coronet for sure.

Having lived through the 60s and 70s, I find it interesting that you don't see this look so much these days. When I was a teenager in the late 60s and early 70s, just about every Road Runner owner in my area ran bare wheels, not having the money for fancy after market stuff. I did the same on my '68 GTX until I sprung for a set of Magnum 500s in 1986.

When I restored this car I went with disc front brakes,so 15" steel. wheels were powder coated and then installed with new MT tires. After ordering ....my dumb mistake is that no mopar dog dish will fit on these speedway steel wheels.

So what do you think?

I would like to keep this car a period correct hot rod look from the 60s -70s era.

Thanks ....

View attachment 1576696

View attachment 1576697
Kind of looks like a factory racer. It looks great the way you have it. Easy, if you get tired of the look, just change it up. Your car, your rules.

Thanks everyone .... the car does not get out much until summer so I thought I would run it by the forum ..:thumbsup:

So what do you think?

Thanks ....

View attachment 1576696

View attachment 1576697
The early to mid 60s era cars look fine with body colored steel wheels.
In my opinion, the 68 and later cars need more flash in the form of styled wheels or aftermarket aluminum wheels.
I know...some members here LOVE the small hub cap look on may different cars. I won't claim to deny you your opinion but I'm not much of a fan of hub caps on anything but Police cars.
Full wheel covers? Uhhh, maybe on the luxury cars but I don't like them on anything you'd call a "muscle car".

I'm in the minority, I guess, but I would like to see dog dishes on your wheels. I understand it can't be done with the wheels you have.
So, I'd run em just like they are. For me, I put dodge redstripe caps on my plymouth A12, cause I don't care for the naked wheel look that it's supposed to have.
I think if your coronet was mine.... I'd put gray torque thrusts on it.
But I am curious. WHY won't a dog dish fit? No nubs? (I can't tell in your pic).
(And I'm a wheel junky too. Four different looks for my 62 savoy.)

The 66 and earlier dog dishes are bigger than the 68 up caps. Generally referred to as nine inch caps, and ten inch. Have you tried one of the earlier caps?
Excuse me if this is a dumb question.
(And if it were me, and Ford was all that worked, I'd find and run a Ford cap without a logo......and see who notices, LOL.)

My buddie's '62 Maxie clone. He wanted the S/S look. TT's on the front; Body colour steelies on the back.

P6190054.JPG

Last edited:
Looks great to me as is.

I ran around in the late 60s in my 64 black Sport Fury with out wheel covers for a while. Even mounted a pair of 7” slicks on it for a while (stupid kids!). Then I put a set of chrome reverse rims on it until I sold it. I think it looks fine. Kind of wish I had held on to the 64 Soort Fury hub caps though.

Auto Transport Service
Back