• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steer shaft lengths - column to floor conversion - 71 B Body

edp

Local time
9:12 PM
Reaction score
I posted this over on Moparts as well, thought I'd cast a wide net for answers.

Hi all,
does anyone know the actual lengths of the steer shafts for a 71 B body - Satellite - pwwr steering car.

I have 2 - one @ 42" & one @ 40.5", I assumed the 40.5" was for power steering & installed that one in the column but its too short. 72 RRGTX mentioned maybe my shaft was collapsed a bit & I cant find actual measurements on the web anywhere so if anyone has that data its appreciated.

Thanks, evan

anyone ever measured the different lengths of steering shafts - manual to power steering? Also, are therer differences between earlier & later B models - 71 to 74 vs. 67 to 70....
Thx.

well if anyone cares the answer is 42" shaft length for a 71 B body power steering setup. I had to swap out the shorter one I had in there originally & it connected properly to the box.

I really have no idea however there may or may not be a difference between 71/72 and 73/74 due to the ISO K-frame but like I said I really have no idea. Thank you for posting what you found though, as it may help someone else looking for an answer!

well if anyone cares the answer is 42" shaft length for a 71 B body power steering setup. I had to swap out the shorter one I had in there originally & it connected properly to the box.
thanx for the post edp.im having the same problem with my 70rr .my car is power steering and the 42 inch shaft seems to long.your the only one who has a definet length on here

I'd listen to Mark, my answer was found by trial & error. Its been a while since I rebuilt the column but if I remember correctly I originally had the shorter shaft in the column - 40.5" version - then once I installed the column the shaft wouldn't reach the coupler. Remeasured, swapped shafts & it fit perfectly.

I got a spare column from a guy near me but I had thought it was from a 73 which is where I got the shaft lengths off of. I the difference in length is due to the type of car - manual vs. pwr. steering - I'm not certain how critical the year is.

my car was being built as a drag car originally & the seller kept the manual box and put in a PS box but I ended up with a manual column.

hopefully that helps - good luck & post up what you figure out.

evan

I have 71/2, 73 and 74 columns. I need to take some reference pictures. All have different shafts.
On 71/2 42" for P/S and 40.5" for manual sounds right.

Auto Transport Service
Back