• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering box for 65' Coronet

SSjunkie

Local time
11:08 PM
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I'm looking for a replacement manual steering box for my 65 Coronet. Does anyone know if the Flaming River FR1540 will work? If not, do you know of anybody else that makes a replacement unit?

Thanks in Advance

Manual steering boxes are basically all the same with the exception of a few C body boxes that had a larger diameter output shaft (sector). So the odds are that any manual steering box you find at a swap meet or wrecking yard will work in your '65.

I wouldn't recommend a 16:1 box in a heavy car like a Coronet. I tried that once in my '65 Coronet and couldn't steer around sharp corners at slow speeds. I didn't like the slow 24:1 box so I went with the Mopar 20:1 gear set. The 20:1 box is a little too stiff at slow speeds but otherwise it works pretty well.

Thank you for the advise. I'll stay away from the 16:1 ratio and look for a 20:1
I'm using M/T front runners on the car,so that would help a bit. I guess the main thing to look for is a box with a small sector shaft, which I understand is 1-1/8" in dia.

The flaming river box works in the ‘65 - it says not to use it with a quick ratio pitman arm. I have no issues driving mine around with it installed. Much prefer it over the stock box that I replaced.

Bought.mine from Amazon , 16 to 1. Can't remember the vendors name but it is new not rebuilt for about $225. Works.perfect and saved $40 over their own web site. No issues using 235/14 radial.T/A no extra effort steer.

Thanks again for the replys guys! It's funny becuase when I get in the car after not having driven it for a while it takes me a few miles to get used to the "Mopar" steering. Scared myself a couple of times lol. Since the car is going in for a "Super Stock" remake I wanted to replace the box and totally rebuild the front end in an effort to tighten things up a bit. Below is a pic as it is right now.

IMG_0921.JPG

We offer new production box in both 16:1 and 24:1 as well as complete front end rebuild kit in either oem or rubber. As a member of the forum you are also eligable for 10% off orders of $200 or more.

Thanks
James From
PST Marketing

I'm going to get the flaming river 16:1 to my '64 sport fury. but i don´t know wich coupler i have to use?? Anyone who knows?

Today the car is a stock PS car so i guess i need somekind of adapter or someting to convert from PS to flaming river manual steering. I've been running the car for the last 3 years without the PS-pump connected due to extremely bad leaking from the steering box (comes from sector shaft) and the play in the stock box is about 1/2 turn to each side... so i guess it will be a nice update.

I´ll also get a complete polygraphite frontend kit from P-S-T :)

I used the coupler I bought from MP , which I checked and is marked "Firm Feel" , so you could contact them and use that if it's still around or the Flaming River coupler , which I believe is the jointed version.

Auto Transport Service
Back