• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering box help!

gliderider-06

Local time
6:15 AM
Reaction score
Here is a question for you steering box guru's. I'm rebuilding the suspension on my 71 Charger and am having a time finding a pitman arm. I can get one that has a larger shaft opening, which I guess is for a 73 and newer. Will a P/S box from 73 and newer fit on a 71 with the addition of the pitman arm for it? I can get them from Advance for less than the cost of a cheap pitman arm for the 71. If it will fit, do I need to change the steering shaft coupler as well or will it bolt up just fine?
Thanks!

Yes, I believe that box should fit no problem. But, I can't imagine that you're better off buying a new box and pitman arm. Call Dick at Firm Feel and see what they have. It shouldn't be that difficult to find a 71 pitman arm, they should've been the same for like 10 years before.

Question?
Can the play be tightened up or adjusted in a steering box? My 71 has lots of play in the box. The knuckle on the column is tight, so I know it's lash in the steering. Plus the front end was just rebuilt. Thanks for the help.

Play in Steering Box

Question?
Can the play be tightened up or adjusted in a steering box? My 71 has lots of play in the box. The knuckle on the column is tight, so I know it's lash in the steering. Plus the front end was just rebuilt. Thanks for the help.

That's a tricky issue. There is an adjustment screw on top with a big nut over it but, if you adjust too much you'll ruin the box. I'd recomend turning the screw only 1/8" tighter max or call Firm Feel for their advice. Be careful on this one and don't go much on it.....

Here is a question for you steering box guru's. I'm rebuilding the suspension on my 71 Charger and am having a time finding a pitman arm. I can get one that has a larger shaft opening, which I guess is for a 73 and newer. Will a P/S box from 73 and newer fit on a 71 with the addition of the pitman arm for it? I can get them from Advance for less than the cost of a cheap pitman arm for the 71. If it will fit, do I need to change the steering shaft coupler as well or will it bolt up just fine?
Thanks!

Check with PST they have both size pitman arms

Thanks for the responses!
The PST is the cheapest one available. My local Advance can get one for close to 180.00, Napa 157.00 and Autozone N/A. I thought for the price, I could get a newer style re-man box for 120.00 and the pitman arm to match it is 32.00, and this way everything in my suspension will be new. From what the parts guy was telling me that Mopar used the same steering box from 73 through the 80's, to the earlier box was for only a few years.

Thanks!

http://www.p-s-t.com/s.nl/it.A/id.2315/.f?sc=12

Rock Auto has the 71-2 pitman arms for around $90, Rebuilt parts store steering boxes can be a crap shoot at best. If your original does not leak and is pretty tight I would go with just the pitman arm. Save for a Firm Feel stage II for a new box.

Thanks for the responses!
The PST is the cheapest one available. My local Advance can get one for close to 180.00, Napa 157.00 and Autozone N/A. I thought for the price, I could get a newer style re-man box for 120.00 and the pitman arm to match it is 32.00, and this way everything in my suspension will be new. From what the parts guy was telling me that Mopar used the same steering box from 73 through the 80's, to the earlier box was for only a few years.

I used the 73 and up box and arm as replacement on my 68 Satellite as no early boxes were available already done. Seems everyone is hanging on to there old boxes, thats why the core charge is so high at Steer and Gear and Firm Feel

I'll try to remember where i got my pitman arm from been about 2 years got it outta some where on the west coast of the us if I can remember correctly, I recall, it being a pain when changing it in my 71 RR. Just curious is the engine a small block cause i ran into some serious header clearance issues when redoing the steering.

The car is a 318, but A 360 is going in shortly. I have not driven the car yet, except from the car trailer to the garage, so I have no idea if the box has play in it; Everything else had plenty of it though. The box does not appear to be leaking at this time. I just figured I could put a reman box on from a newer car and have everything in my suspension new.
Thanks again!

I did exactly that!! I have a 71 Plymouth SSP/RR that I dug out of storage after many years. I got a new steering box from Advance for a 71. The 71 box they sent me didnt fit my old pitman arm. Hmmm. So we ordered another box. Pitman arm still didnt fit. Hmmm x 2. We looked up the pitman arm for the 71. $180!!. We looked up the 73 pitman arm. Something like $40-$50. SO, we returned the 2nd steering box and ordered a 73 box and pitman arm. everything bolted up nicely and now I have a 73 steering system. I just need to make a note of it next time something happens. BTW, I'm very proficient at replacing the steering box now. In and out in 30 minutes. Jack up motor on drivers side (take the motor mount loose), pop the steering coupling off, remove two hoses, three bolts on the box, out!! Hardest part is holding the new box with one hand while trying to start one of the bolts when putting it back in. Once that first bolt is started, in she goes...

Hello all
New to the group and forums in general. I have a 67 Gtx with 1 7/8 headers from tti. Wanting to put power steering in the car and maybe hotchkis tvs. Any suggestions on a powers steering kit? Thanks for your help.

So I'm away from car (67 Gtx) working in ak trying to pay for my hobby :). Wondering on changing car to power steering. 440 with 1 7/8 tti headers. Is there a company that sells kits? Thanks for the help

Steering box

Hi. I replaced both my steering box and pitman arm on my 71 Charger.

Box from Rock Auto / pitman from E-Bay. Both correct for the year.

No problems.

Good Luck

Auto Transport Service
Back