• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering box, shaft, and steering column is hot

Sonny

It’s all fun til the rabbit gets the gun.
Local time
5:08 AM
Reaction score
I have a 1970 rr clone with a 440 and hp manifolds. Noticed last week that the key, switch and housing was hot. Under the hood I thought the shaft was being headed by the manifold (about an inch or so clearance) so wrapped the shaft in heat barrier. Still hot. After further inspection, the borgeson steering box and coupler was the hottest spot of all. I’m using my original 50 year old steering pump. Works fine, no leaks, no noises but could it be heating up the ps fluid and heating up the shaft??

Did you install a PS Cooler with your Borgeson gearbox? They recommend them with big blocks.

This might sound left field. Consider checking that your ignition timing is not too retarded. On small block magnum had mine at 5BTDC and now 10BTDC - big difference to underhood and exhaust temperatures.

Auto Transport Service
Back