• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering column plastic pieces

snakeoil24

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:30 PM
Reaction score
The inner column has plastic pieces i beleive are guides or some kind of break away part. I want to remove them safely if i can in order to send out column for powder coating. Anyone identify what they are and proper way to remove? I can hve my son reproduce using a computer printer if i need to. Look the pictures please you will see the white lines.

IMG_2413.jpg

IMG_2414.jpg

IMG_2415.jpg

Dont do it. You will ruin the function of breakaway column. Cant be that hard to bead blast the rust and finish sand with 220 grit wetdry paper. clear coat column. it was natural from factory.
R
JMFHO

Dont do it. You will ruin the function of breakaway column. Cant be that hard to bead blast the rust and finish sand with 220 grit wetdry paper. clear coat column. it was natural from factory.
R
JMFH
Thank You i will avoid seding out for powder coat and simply spray with Textured coating. Appreciate your input.

I cleaned mine by making a trough just big enough to lay it in with some thick plastic to prevent leaks and filled with evaporust enough to submerge it. Little trick I saw in @dadsbee resto thread.

Auto Transport Service
Back