• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering column question

Tim2266ev2

Local time
6:43 PM
Reaction score
Hello, I have a 66 coronet that is currently column shift with power steering. I bought a floor shift power steering column to replace it since i changed over to floor shift. The column I bought was complete with the shaft and coupler. New shaft Coupler seems to have a lot more slop than the old one (original to the car) which is also a little different where the roll pin gets pushed in. My question is, can I take the internal shaft out of my old column shift and put it in the floor shift column? Are they the same length, or did the indicator make them longer? Only reason I ask is because it seems like the couple of times I've taken the coupler apart, I can't get the top clip back on. Please lrt me know. Thanks in advance

You can use your original shaft the indicator tab is on the inner tube.

It's what I'm going to end up doing, sometimes I have a tough time with that top clip on the coupler. I was just wondering if the inner shaft was the same length
The shaft is the same lenght

If both are power steering columns they should be the same length.

Hello, I have a 66 coronet that is currently column shift with power steering. I bought a floor shift power steering column to replace it since i changed over to floor shift. The column I bought was complete with the shaft and coupler. New shaft Coupler seems to have a lot more slop than the old one (original to the car) which is also a little different where the roll pin gets pushed in. My question is, can I take the internal shaft out of my old column shift and put it in the floor shift column? Are they the same length, or did the indicator make them longer? Only reason I ask is because it seems like the couple of times I've taken the coupler apart, I can't get the top clip back on. Please lrt me know. Thanks in advance

Why not just modify the original column by taking the shift collar off, grinding down the indicator and filling the spot where you removed it. I've done this for people on different brands of cars and if done properly it is unnoticeable. In one case the collar was rotated 180 degrees for a perfect finish on top.

Good to know. Thanks
Why not just modify the original column by taking the shift collar off, grinding down the indicator and filling the spot where you removed it. I've done this for people on different brands of cars and if done properly it is unnoticeable. In one case the collar was rotated 180 degrees for a perfect finish on top.

Just to summarize some related points.... Power steering center shafts are longer than manual steering center shafts & they can be interchanged within a column. A manual steering box has a larger input spline & the manual steering coupler has an appropriately larger hole on the bottom side to fit over the larger spline.

Auto Transport Service
Back