• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering problem -

d9103365

Local time
6:07 PM
Reaction score
I was driving my 75 fury this weekend and I felt a small pop in the steering....suddenly the wheel became more difficult to control and made a scrubbing noise in the steering column when I turned. I was able to get it home...but it was pretty unnerving as you could imagine.

Any idea what happened? Does this match up with any common problems any of you have encountered? I haven't checked it out fully yet because I was so glad to get home without ending up in a ditch. I believe its something in the column...when I turned the wheel it makes a grinding sound that seems to come from behind the steering wheel itself.

I would be grateful for any pointers.

Is it a tilt wheel? I'd look at the inside of the column at that.

My first thought if you heard grinding is the upper bearing. It sits under the turn signal switch. You could probably check that relatively easily by taking the steering wheel off and loosening the turn signal switch. Then take look and turn the shaft and see what happens.

Next obvious possibility would be the lower bearing (if you car has one - mine does not). Final possibility is the steering box connector or rag joint. Either way, I would check all those components carefully. Losing steering would NOT be something I would want to have happen...

Good Luck

The snap ring that keeps the shaft from sliding up and down might have popped off.

My first thought if you heard grinding is the upper bearing. It sits under the turn signal switch. You could probably check that relatively easily by taking the steering wheel off and loosening the turn signal switch. Then take look and turn the shaft and see what happens.

Next obvious possibility would be the lower bearing (if you car has one - mine does not). Final possibility is the steering box connector or rag joint. Either way, I would check all those components carefully. Losing steering would NOT be something I would want to have happen...

Good Luck
What I first thought was the coupling, but he says it's inside the column. I once fixed a GM tilt column that cracked inside with the same symptom he described.

Is it a tilt wheel? I'd look at the inside of the column at that.

No, it does not.

- - - Updated - - -

I should also note that my car is a console shift....so it has that special locker deal on the steering column...not sure if that makes a difference...probably not...it seems fine...just thought i'd mention it.

I don't have tilt wheel either.

could it be those white plastic pieces that collapse when the column gets buckled from the front??

idk, just spitballing here...:p

If you're sure it's not the coupling, then pull the steering wheel, look at the inside of the column. Could be a broken horn switch, turn signal switch, etc.

When you stated "more difficult to control", did you mean harder to turn the wheel or more slop in the steering?

I did some more testing on it today. The wheel makes a scrubbing sound when I turn it. When I turn it completely from side to side it also makes a knocking sound. both sounds appear to be coming from the column...behind the blinker switch and before the ignition. Horn and blinker switches work fine..and when turning the wheel the front end seems to turn ok with no sounds or anything unusual going on under the hood that I can see. Just get this scrubbing and knocking sound inside the column.

Sounds like the upper bearing. Toulouse need a lock plate tool to get the clip off but it should just pop up after that I may have one that will fit pm if this is your problem I also have a parts column so if a har part is broken just ask and I'll see if my parts will fit. Good luck

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure what my phone was thinking where it says Toulouse it was to say you'll not to sure what it did there .

Last edited:
Just wanted to give an update on this issue. I took the column apart down to the lock plate. I replaced the upper bearing. I did not see anything else that was broken or loose. I put everything back together and still have the problem. I had someone turn the wheel for me while I watched the steering gear under the hood, and I noticed that it looks like there's a hole where a pin or bolt should be (see pics). Could this be the problem?
IMG_1779.jpgIMG_1776.jpg

there's supposed to be a roll pin in there that holds the collar to the splines...could be it!

DSC02917.JPG

That roll pin has nothing to do with "slop in the steering" unless the coupler has come "off the splines".

What it DOES do is prevent the coupler from working up off the splines IE reducing the amount of spline engagement. There's a groove in the box splines which the pin engages.

Frankly, I cannot tell from your photo. It almost looks like the pin is in there, which is hollow

What you want to do, there, is to get someone to move the wheel back and forth while you watch. Look carefully at that entire area, the shaft coming into the coupler outer body, and see if there is relative movement. There should not be. Then look between the coupler body and the box shaft. Again, the two should move in unison.

Then look at the shaft moving relative to the pitman arm below. There will be a little play with engine off, but running, nearly none.

Then look underneath, at the idler and pitman. should be no movement or play between the balls and the pitman arm or idler arm. Should be no up/ down movement of the ider. last check each tie rod end. Look for movement, get under there and wiggle and shake them.

It's a dirty job...........but somebody...........

Attachments

• pin.jpg
    pin.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 117
Auto Transport Service
Back