• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering Wheel Centering

62Fury

Local time
5:28 PM
Reaction score
I looked at the forums to get this answer but couldn't find an answer. 62 Fury steering wheel is off center, any tips on how to center this? Can I remove it and center it from inside the car? Don't need alignment and all other steering linkage, idler arm etc. are all good.

Pretty easy, though.

Loosen the tie rod ends and turn both of them the same way, the same number of turns.

Mark them with a sharpie or paint pen if you need to.

If it goes the wrong way, then go back to the mark and go the other way.

I count quarter turns, besides the mark and always turn a complete quarter.

That will keep the alignment the same.

if it looks like that last complete quarter turn isn't going to get it, you can still go from there by an 8th.

Pretty easy, though.

Loosen the tie rod ends and turn both of them the same way, the same number of turns.

Mark them with a sharpie or paint pen if you need to.

If it goes the wrong way, then go back to the mark and go the other way.

I count quarter turns, besides the mark and always turn a complete quarter.

That will keep the alignment the same.

if it looks like that last complete quarter turn isn't going to get it, you can still go from there by an 8th.
Thanks. Loosen the tie rod end itself, or loosen the tie rod end at the tie rod tube?

Loosen the clamps on the tie rod adjuster sleeves, and then turn sleeves as suggested.

Thanks. Loosen the tie rod end itself, or loosen the tie rod end at the tie rod tube?
This video shows what you need to do. Instead of measuring like the narrator says, loosen both clamps on the sleeves and turn the sleeve equal amounts like previously stated. Spray the sleeves with penetrating oil so they work freely.

Yes, clean them off real good so you can see any marks you make.

It is absolutely critical they be turned exactly the same amount.

1/4 turn off (or possibly less) between the two will affect your alignment.

You can also make a toe gauge pretty easily or even use just a tape measure (I also use push pins, but there are several other ways) to check your toe in.

Actually a toe gauge is a handy thing to have as tie rod ends are a very common wear part and I've found a LOT of alignment issues can turn out to be "just" toe or tie rod issues.
Very easy fix, not requiring a trip to the alignment shop (if you can even find one that will do a classic Mopar) if you have that tool available.

This video shows what you need to do. Instead of measuring like the narrator says, loosen both clamps on the sleeves and turn the sleeve equal amounts like previously stated. Spray the sleeves with penetrating oil so they work freely.

Thank all of you for your valued assistance on this. Got under car and realized the tie rods need replaced. I'll let you all know how this project ends. Thanks again!

Auto Transport Service
Back