• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering wheel horn button differences

shovelluv

Local time
11:27 AM
Reaction score
Does anyone know the differences in horn button rings on 68-70 cars. Some are a full ring, some are 1/2 rings and some just don't have one. Was it an order option or did some car types just get a certain ring? Thanks!

IIRC it depended on model, trim level, and interior trim level.

IIRC it was also available to option up the wheel as a separate item.

Hamtramck Historical should have detailed info in their scanned library

Does anyone know the differences in horn button rings on 68-70 cars. Some are a full ring, some are 1/2 rings and some just don't have one. Was it an order option or did some car types just get a certain ring? Thanks!

Ok, here is my VERY LIMITED info on this subject, more related to the steering wheels than the horn rings.
1. "wood grain" wheels don't have a ring because the center pad is the horn button.
2. "rim blown" wheels don't have a ring because the steering wheel itself is the horn button.
3. 68-69 columns are narrower at the top (& wheels). The ignition key goes into the dash. In 70, they introduced the "locking column" and the ignition key goes in the column....so the column is wider up top (& so is the wheel)

That's all I've got...yeah, I've seen some 1/2-rings & full-rings and wondered myself. I think 70 Roadrunners could have had 4 different steering wheels. Base (I "think" maybe a full ring), RR/GTX (3 spokes & half ring), rim blown (no ring) & woodgrain (no ring)....... I "think" on all this, not positive.

Auto Transport Service
Back