• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering Wheel Restoration - DIY Project

Just Send It

Local time
11:48 PM
Reaction score
Wanted to share my experience with restoring a 63' 330 steering wheel.

My car had a Polara steering wheel when I got it; and while it was in great shape, it kind of bugged me because it wasn't model correct. So I went on a hunt to find a 330 wheel. I quickly realized the prices on a restored wheel were very expensive, so my only option was to restore one myself.

Another member on this forum was extremely generous and sent me his 63' steering wheel, but it had been sitting in a field in Montana and it had 1/4" to 1/2" cracks pretty much everywhere. In-fact, there was a lateral crack that ran almost 360° around the entire circumference. It was in rough shape, but it gave me something to work with.

20240203-102656.jpg

20240203-102242.jpg

20240203-102456.jpg

20240203-102425.jpg

So I got my V-notch bit for my Dremel and went to work. I carved all of the old cracks down to the metal frame to give the new epoxy something to grab onto. I ended up using a combination of PC-7, laminate epoxy, and body filler. I used several layers of the PC-7 to build-up the inside of the large cracks, and then I used laminate epoxy and then finished it with body filler. The idea behind using the different materials is that I wanted the most rigid epoxy at the core and then have more malleable epoxy for the outer layers. My theory is that the more malleable materials will be able to expand/contract without cracking.

20240203-132349.jpg

20240203-142417.jpg

20240218-160126.jpg

20240218-160138.jpg

This was kind of a challenge. One of the larger cracks was right in the middle of a finger trough, so I had to recreate it. I basically took the epoxy and allowed for a controlled drip to accumulate. From there I shaped it into a new finger bump.

20240219-083824.jpg

Then I had to recreate the inside trim pieces. I'd say this was the most challenging part of the project because the material is so thin. I used some very thin gauged steel I had laying around and started cutting them out by hand. This took FOREVER to do. I probably have 8 hours into these guys.

If you notice, they're 2 tone with light argent silver in the middle and polished sides. Those little sides are 1/32" wide and beveled so I used pinstripe tape to separate the paint lines. Getting these straight and perfectly fit inside of the wheel was time consuming.

20240309-214506.jpg

20240309-214532.jpg

20240308-162628.jpg

If anyone ever has to restore one of these steering wheels, here are the paints I used. They matched perfectly to the stock colors.

20240318-154612.jpg

After everything was shaped, then it was just a matter of priming and sanding. I put some time into this, so I have 6 coats of primer, 4 coats of base, and 4 coats of satin clear. The 1963 Crimson Red paint from Herb's was a dead ringer. It matched exactly.

20240225-134039.jpg

20240225-141024.jpg

20240308-162620.jpg

20240308-175542.jpg

And there you have it...Hopefully she'll last another 60 years. Thanks to @bolson633 for the steering wheel and for you guys to give me the confidence to try this project. You guys were a great help.

20240318-204858.jpg

20240318-205334.jpg

20240318-205248.jpg

20240318-205259.jpg

Last edited:
That's some nice work. I have a couple 67 steering wheels that need the same treatment but they arent' nearly as rough as yours. Thanks for the info.

Nice write up and finished product. Could you post a picture of the PC-7, laminate epoxy, and body filler you used? Thanks for the time to post this.

Nice write up and finished product. Could you post a picture of the PC-7, laminate epoxy, and body filler you used? Thanks for the time to post this.

My pleasure!

Here's a photo of everything that I used in-order from left to right. The PC-7 is great but it's like working with peanut butter. I used a popsicle stick to jam it down into the cracks.

20240319-131725.jpg

I may try this myself after seeing the results you made I was just wondering the cost of materials vs buying a re pop.

I may try this myself after seeing the results you made I was just wondering the cost of materials vs buying a re pop.

Definitely try if you can. I figure if this one can be saved, anything can be saved. And you'll have the pride of knowing you restored it every time you drive the car.

Win-win.

I wonder how durable the painted surface will be?

Nice work - it turned our great! :thumbsup:
My daughter and I restored a wheel for our '64 Belvedere 10 years ago. It turned out nice, but it didn't hold up quite as well as we had hoped. It still looks very good but has some cracks. It's stored in an unheated building in the winter, so that hasn't helped. Here's a link to some pics.
steering wheel restoration

Nice work - it turned our great! :thumbsup:
My daughter and I restored a wheel for our '64 Belvedere 10 years ago. It turned out nice, but it didn't hold up quite as well as we had hoped. It still looks very good but has some cracks. It's stored in an unheated building in the winter, so that hasn't helped. Here's a link to some pics.
steering wheel restoration

Funny. I used your water technique to make the PC-7 more workable. That stuff is thick. Especially doing it during the Winter time. I broke a few popsicle sticks mixing it. The water helped.

Great job on that wheel, it was rough. You turned it into a jewel again.

Once he paint has cured really good spray some automotive clear with hardener over the top and then it won't wear off or peel.

I wonder how durable the painted surface will be?
I made some minor repairs on my 67 wheel about 20 years ago and painted it with mettalic red single stage urethane. Now it’s far from a daily driver, and I don’t wear rings, so it’s pampered, but so far there isn’t a wear mark on it anywhere. Hardened urethane is pretty tough stuff.

P1010164.jpeg

When I made an amateurs attempt to re-color (no grain) the wood grain wheel on my 66 to get rid of the beige color, I top coated it with hardened clear urethane and it’s only a couple years old but also holding up well.

IMG_5559.jpeg

Now you know why wheel restorers charge so much. Not to mention that the expectations of the restored product are a "perfect" piece - trim, chrome, etc !!

Fantastic work! Yeah, making those trim parts are not for the faint-hearted. Have a couple of ma Mopar rectangular steering wheels when they were out for a brief span. One is very rough; but the other is in pretty nice condition I want to restore someday. I’d like to see how it will fit and look in my ’63 Plymouth as a piece of Mopar uniqueness. Could be a bust; but won’t know until I try it.
Thanks for posting your work, it will be helpful when I hope to get to restoring the one I have.

I've restored steering wheels for customers worldwide for over 30 years now and for quite a few members on this site. I will tell you I use a different method than other people use and they are lot of tedious nasty work to do it correctly. Getting them to look nice once you complete them is not all that hard to do, just very time consuming like mentioned by the original poster. The real tricky part is to get them to last without the cracks etc. coming back on them in a short length of time after you're done with them. Good Luck to all who wish to try one on, but I would never use that PC-7 stuff or any type of body filler in one of the ones that I restore for my customers and my woodgrain steering wheels all have hand cut in new wood graining on them. This isn't an ad for more work, I'm 72 years old now and certainly can't keep up with the demand for my services, but after restoring early B-body cars for over 45 years, this at least lets me stay involved in this hobby I've loved my entire life. When three serious back surgeries made me stop restoring these fine old Mopar's, I was left with as 28' x 56' warehouse full of parts for these cars that I'm now selling off. I also have a lot of friends in this hobby that are still restoring cars and if I don't have a part they need, I'll go out of my way to find it for them. Best Wishes to all members here and keep at it, Charlie.

I would never use that PC-7 stuff or any type of body filler in one of the ones that I restore for my customers
Maybe you have some proprietary secrets, if not, be nice to hear your wheel resto method. Seeing what members and others have done it sure takes a lot of patience to perfection.

The only one that I'll show how I do it is someone that wants to take over for me when I decide to hang it up, but that isn't yet. I've had young guys complain that they can't get a good job and I've told them that if they want to come and work with me for several months until I think they can perform correct restoration work, they could branch out on their own and easily stay busy six days a week eight hours a day for the resto of their lives if they were willing to do all brands of steering wheels. I only do Mopar steering wheels unless it is a past customer that wants a different kind of wheel restored. Those same kids say it is to boring, tedious and dirty work for them and I tell them okay just go work at McDonalds for the rest of your lives HA! HA! HA! All they do is play and talk on their cell phones and are more than happy to let Mom and Dad support them forever. Way too spoiled and lazy to say the least !!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back