• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sticky Street Tire

Coker carries Pro Trac bias tires. They definitely have "the look" and are sticky. I thought about buying a set for my Coronet but for the way I drive radials get the nod.

I suppose you could run them the same size all around but it might look like a 4x4. They really look best big'n'little style.

https://www.cokertire.com/tires/235-60-15-pro-trac-street-pro-60-series.html

pro-trac-275-60-15-rocket-strike-10in_3.png

#2. I bought a car with Firestone wide oval radial redlines G70-14.

The car has the steering wheel sawing back and. forth on the freeway. I thought bent wheel. Spin them on a balancer and the wheels are fine. 2 of the tires are not good. They are very out of round, and side wobble, the red stripe is not even an even circle it is out of round also. MFG Date of 2017.

1967 charger original tires were 775-14.

The last time I had a Firestone tire on one of my cars was 1977 and that one literally went up in flames. Bridgestone is also part of Firestone as well so I will not knowingly purchase any tires made by these clowns. Just my opinion and personal experience and that’s all.
:luvplace: :steering:

It been a really long time since I've purchased street tires for a muscle car. I have several related questions for this post. Feel free to respond with experiences and opinions to any of them.

In a perfect world I would like factory original looking tires that handle like radials, but launch like drag radials. Something like FAST cars, but without the inconvenience of actual rules. I'll probably keep the front and rear tires the same size, probably in the 225/70/15 size range. I'll be using 7" wide rims.

Questions:
1) I've been snooping around these web sites: Cooper, MT, Coker, Diamondback, BFG, M&H. What other places should I be looking?

2) I see that Coker offers "Wide Oval" tires that have the appearance of vintage bias ply tires, but are actually radials. Has anyone tried these tires, and how do you like them? Are they a bias ply/radial compromise, or do they handle more like a radial?

3) Who offers the softest compound in these sizes? Bias or radial, any make.

4) Who makes the Diamondback SS? Any quality concerns?

5) How are the BFG/Silvertown quality? Any comparisons with the Diamondback SS?

At the end of the day, I know I'll need to make compromises, just collecting info to help me decide.

Thanks
M/T street Rs .. is what it sounds like you're asking for. What you're giving up is the original look.

Just when through and re-read the responses and took down some notes. This has been helpful. Thanks everyone.

@BSB67, i just reread my previous post about Diamondback, and now that i think about it, i think the m-code guy had the redlines put on the old BFG drag radials they dont make anymore, not the mickeys.
I would sure still give them a try, to see what they can do.

If you decided to retain the 14's like I have on my GTS the only sticky wrinkle wall 14" DOT is M&H bias ply. They don't male a front runner so I went poly glas for the day 2 look.

Bias ply tires have not changed. The car handles like a marshmallow compared to radials. It has qa1 adjustable shocks, no front sway bar and other modifications for straight line competition so "day 2" handling does not bother me. If I wanted a comfortable car that handled I'd take the 300C SRT8.

How much tire could you put under a 66 b body and still keep the stock buckets? If you tried auto crossing with the stock lap belt you might end up in the back seat lol. 67-69 a body buckets are the same. Point is two tire sizes over stock is for getting the car moving in this case, not handling.

You have to make the decision of whether you want 1990 miles of marmallow driving and 10 miles of drag strip hook or 20 so so hits at the locap 1/4 mile and 1990 miles a year of predictability and road feel.

I went for 10 miles of awesome myself. Riding around on 16 psi in the back tires isn't for everyone. Definitely stay off of wet roads with the 400+ hp cars with competition tires. Your car is way too nice for wet weather anyway.

Last edited:
Of the 4 brand of DR's I have used on the Charger, the MT street hooked great & had MUCH less side wiggle, they even drove very good on wet streets. they score#1
#2 M&H they grab lines in the road a little, hook good
#3 Hoosier drove like crap on the street, hooked great Had one get a bubble in the sidewall edge, only had 2 passes & about 200 miles, NO warranty
#4 Nitto, drove very good on the street, NO TRACTION

Last edited:
Good to know on the M&H and Hoosier.

At the moment I'm leaning toward the BFG redline radials on all 4 corners for the street, and using the M/T Rs for track duty. I do need to pick up the phone and makes some calls.

Thanks Charlie

Good to know on the M&H and Hoosier.

At the moment I'm leaning toward the BFG redline radials on all 4 corners for the street, and using the M/T Rs for track duty. I do need to pick up the phone and makes some calls.

Thanks Charlie
I had ordered new MT's after the Hossier problem, waited 4 months & had to cancel the order & got the M&H 's on it now.

Coker carries Pro Trac bias tires. They definitely have "the look" and are sticky. I thought about buying a set for my Coronet but for the way I drive radials get the nod.

I suppose you could run them the same size all around but it might look like a 4x4. They really look best big'n'little style.

https://www.cokertire.com/tires/235-60-15-pro-trac-street-pro-60-series.html

View attachment 1173061
Had Pro-trac on my car no special compound. I was rolling to get'em out of the way thread was in consistent. The tread pattern was large and as you rolled it got smaller. Weird to see. Those Pro-trac had a hard compound, they squealed like a pig.

I used to have Diamondback put white stripes on the tires for my old Malibu-

https://www.motortrend.com/features/ccrp-1103-jim-morans-1970-chevy-chevelle/

I spoke to them recently about doing some redlines for my Charger and they said MT changed the compound and the sidewalls are softer and gum up a bit when they try to smooth them in preparation for a stripe.

I may do it anyway but they said it won't look as nice as they used to with the older tires.

We'll, finally put new tires and wheels on. Nearly two years since I posted asking questions. Ugh.

Actually ordered the tires and wheels over a year ago and both were back ordered and took 4 - 6 months to get. Life got bust too.

I'm sure you all remember this thread (kidding), but just in case, here is a 1 sentance recap. I was looking for thoughts, opinions, information, experiences regarding bias ply verses radial, red line or not, sticky street tire or do a tire swap for the track.

In short I took the low cost, easiest path. As silly as it sounds it did take some time for me to align my priorities.

Kinda tired of swapping tires to go to the track.
Didn't want to buy 6 tires and wheels, and storing 2 of them.
Diamondback was not very interested in putting redlines on the M/T Street Rs, at least at that time. Although they didn't say no.

So I ended up with P225-70-15 BFG front and 255-60-15 M/T on the rear mounted on Magnum 500s.

Pleased with ithem overall. I was a little surprised and disappointed at how much heaver these are over the P235-70-14. Total additional spinning weight about 32 lbs. I'll probably see this on the time slip.

IMG_0943.jpg

Last edited:
You will notice the 32lbs. Please let us know how much et/mph they cost.

Couple more. A before and after.

IMG_0952.jpg

IMG_3814.jpg

Yeah, weight.....
I've got steelies with caps and T/a radials that I use on the street (absolutely worthless, traction wise. ) Similar weight to your magnums
My skinnies/centerlines/slicks are over eighty pounds lighter.

Looks AWESOME , I like it. the et r's should hook great .
Thanks Charlie.
You will notice the 32lbs. Please let us know how much et/mph they cost.

Looks more like 17 or 18 lb net increase when compared to my previous track set- up.

Kinda hoping to get T&T this Friday. But then again, it took two years to change tires. I try not to rush into anything.

And of course, I’ve made 4 changes including the tires. Just like you’re not supposed to do. So we can speculate, but not really know what did what.

Thanks Charlie.

Looks more like 17 or 18 lb net increase when compared to my previous track set- up.

Kinda hoping to get T&T this Friday. But then again, it took two years to change tires. I try not to rush into anything.

And of course, I’ve made 4 changes including the tires. Just like you’re not supposed to do. So we can speculate, but not really know what did what.
LOL, I get it, the ole brain says, lets change this but wait, lets change this also LOL, keep us posted Russ. but MOST of all have fun .

The magnums look great. I prefer the wheel covers only because of rarity/uniqueness.

Regardless of the weight difference, I suspect you already know the car will be faster (or at least quicker) with the M/T's.

You wouldn't have decided to make the change otherwise.

Auto Transport Service
Back