• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stored engine

Law69GTX

Local time
8:33 PM
Reaction score
Hi would appreciate any help regarding, I purchased 1969 GTX came with 1976 440
Supposedly rebuilt, but has been stored for years with no oil or coolant but with all holes blocked. What should I do first, fill with oil let set then try and turn crank or do I need to pull valve covers and fill with oil. Newby at the engine side of restoring my GTX have lots of engine questions need that old school knowledge. Thanks

1) Look in the cylinders for rust with an inspection camera
A) no rust in the cylinders spray a small amount of lube in each cylinder. Go to #2
B) If there is rust In cylinders then it’s not too good and may need to come apart.
2) Prime the oil pump for 20 seconds.
3) turn The crankshaft at least 2 revolutions while priming the oil pump. This will oil the rocker arm shafts.
4) remove valve covers and see that all the rocker arms are full of oil. If you prime it with valve covers off it can get oil everywhere, a big mess.
A) If they are not all full of oil find out why.

B) if they are full of oil It’s all oiled and ready to start concerning lubrication.

Yes looked in don't see any rust but no oil pump installed checking to see for turning before installing engine in car, engine been kept indoors and wrapped but not sure for how long, should I spray lube in spark plug holes and let sit overnight before putting oil in, sorry very Novice Thanks

Auto Transport Service
Back