• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stories about selling or 'offers' for your old rides?

I had some idiot try to trade me a crotch rocket bike for mine back in the late 80s but other than that, nuthin. Some of you guys have all the luck, lol.

back in 2007,
when I sold my place down in Rancho Murieta
I had two RR's both 68's,
the one I have now (I got in 2005) & my old silver RR
My old sliver 68 RR, was a racecar with license plates/reg.
with 12k mostly street miles on it,
over about 10 years or so sorting ****/playing
maybe 100 passes
Stripped down 68 RR with a 6 pt cage, nice-ish A4 paint
2 cheap Jeggs drag seats & harnesses, all the approp. safety gear etc.
a lil tin work etc.
I had a B- 479cid/TF, N20 combo in it on M/T 315 drag radials/CalTracs
would run best 8.58 @ 156 on a 300 shot, 9.77 @ 135 NA
9.90s all day long, at Sacramento raceway T&T

One of my buddies of a buddy-type deal, wanted it bad,
he didn't want to build one himself & sort it all out...
He found out I was going to sort of liquidating stuff
& was downsizing yet again, before moving east, up here...

He asked me what I'd sell it for...

I figured he wouldn't ever take me up on it...
I said $28k today & today alone, without the 6bbl & liftoff hood stuff...
(at that time maybe $2500-$2800 worth of parts)
I'd give him the Org. hood, in semi black
& the QF trick 950cfm Holley/1050cfm flowed 3 bbl on a Victor...
He said it's sold, he'll take it...
I had a cashiers check in hand by 5:00pm that day...
He called my bluff sort of... (I never thought he would)
I stood by my price...

if you see or hear a badass sounding Silver 68 RR, with a black hood
Polished slots, beware it's way faster, than it looks...

I do sort of regret selling that car... NOW
I probably could have gotten more even...
We had a history together...
But I had, most all the same parts still to build another one
& the car I had in waiting was way better, more complete
& more of a street/strip cruising car, everything was still on it...

Last edited:
I had some idiot try to trade me a crotch rocket bike for mine back in the late 80s but other than that, nuthin. Some of you guys have all the luck, lol.
Take into consideration the more frequent ‘offers’ or ‘I’d like to buy’ are not serious or maybe thinking they’d snag the car for some dream price.

Don’t ya just luv guys with brass balls like this? Yeah sure, so my concern should be how much profit YOU can make flipping it, while I should take it in the *** for ya? Geeeit your *** dee **** away from me…
Too much " Counting Cars" being watched...

Good point, if I sell and get my price, it is no longer mine and I shouldn’t care. I have no longer any control. If I have helped someone and they dump whatever for a profit, it they won’t get anything from me unless a have a huge payout.
Long time ago, sold my cherry ’67 GTO vert to a guy in town. I’d see the car every so often. First time noticed the rear had been caved in a bit, next time it was a fender, filthy looking. I saw it in a strip mall parking lot and decided to take a closer look at it. I walk up and his girlfriend was in the passenger seat with her feet on the dash, inside looked like a garbage can empty fast food bags, soda cups strewn around. The guy I sold it to walks up and I said “Man what da hell have you done to my car, when I sold it to you, you could eat off the gas pedal.” He replied “Ain’t your car anymore.” I was peeved saying “If I’d a known you were such a slob, wouldn’t be your car.”

Later on spotted my old goat in a dealer’s junk lot. Front end caved in, hood popped up, windows open to the elements. I went over to the dealer (was a **** wad dealer I had some history with; anyone from the area would know the name EVS). Asked what they’d sell it for. Insane price given I had sold the car for not much more then they wanted.

Told myself then I’d never sell a cherished car to anyone within a 100 miles so I’d never have to see again.

The PO of my Satellite told me there was one "condition" of the sale-

That I never return to show him what I had done with the car.

Told myself then I’d never sell a cherished car to anyone within a 100 miles so I’d never have to see again.
Same thing here. When I finally sold my 71 Cuda after 44 years of ownership, it went to a guy on the other side of the country so I don't have to see it again.

Long time ago, sold my cherry ’67 GTO vert to a guy in town. I’d see the car every so often. First time noticed the rear had been caved in a bit, next time it was a fender, filthy looking. I saw it in a strip mall parking lot and decided to take a closer look at it. I walk up and his girlfriend was in the passenger seat with her feet on the dash, inside looked like a garbage can empty fast food bags, soda cups strewn around. The guy I sold it to walks up and I said “Man what da hell have you done to my car, when I sold it to you, you could eat off the gas pedal.” He replied “Ain’t your car anymore.” I was peeved saying “If I’d a known you were such a slob, wouldn’t be your car.”

Later on spotted my old goat in a dealer’s junk lot. Front end caved in, hood popped up, windows open to the elements. I went over to the dealer (was a **** wad dealer I had some history with; anyone from the area would know the name EVS). Asked what they’d sell it for. Insane price given I had sold the car for not much more then they wanted.

Told myself then I’d never sell a cherished car to anyone within a 100 miles so I’d never have to see again.[/QUOTE

Likely I would have done that too - but the guy I sold the X to is a good buddy. When I go up to Mpls in the winter he always wants to take me to storage or wherever it is. When I’m up in the summer he wants me to take it for a couple of days. He’s forever thankful to me for selling him the car and wants to express his thanks every time he gets a chance. I likely won’t take the car when I’m up in Mpls this spring/summer with all the daily car jackings taking place - or unless I’m with him as he’s always got his “little buddy” along - but not by myself.

Last edited:

I think your story is the worst possible nightmare for most of us. I'd seen it in an earlier post, and it really made me think twice about selling Baby Blue locally (new owner is 20 miles from me). What really convinced me to sell to @ElectricBlue was seeing the vehicle he had restored with his son and brought to the show where we started discussing a deal. Beautifully done '61 Ford short bed pick up, then he told me he had done the truck because he hadn't been able to find the right Mopar, and he still wanted my GTX, maybe I would part with it now that I had the Hemi. So for the first time in my life I sold one of my cars locally, and I think I made the right choice.

Last edited:
I think your story is the worst possible nightmare for most of us. I'd seen it in an earlier post, and it really made me think twice about selling Baby Blue locally (new owner is 20 miles from me). What really convinced me to sell to @ElectricBlue was seeing the vehicle he had restored with his son and brought to the show where we started discussing a deal. Beautifully done '61 Ford short bed pick up, then he told me he had done the truck because he hadn't been able to find the right Mopar, and he still wanted my GTX, maybe I would part with it now that I had the Hemi. So for the first time in my life I sold one my cars locally, and I think I made the right choice.
No disagreement. I was around 21 when I let that GTO go. Every time I think of it some tingling of regret like most old guys having these rides as their daily transport back when. Nobody twisted my arm to sell it – my girlfriend at the time (now my wife) was heartbroken that I was selling it trying to talk me out of it; she loved that car. Well one thing I knew then as now…my better half is smarter than me.
And the guy I mentioned in one of my posts here interested in buying my ’63, I think wouldn’t be any issue…could see he was liking it and would be a good new dad. Only thing is since he lives close, I’d likely see it out and about…telling my sorry ***…why did I sell it.

Driving my '69 X the number one discussion I have? Is me explaining the difference between GTX and GTO. Which I do with no ill will. Explaining that both are prominent Muscle car era builds. My first and High school car was a '66 GTO. So I have fondness to that Pontiac.

Driving my '69 X the number one discussion I have? Is me explaining the difference between GTX and GTO. Which I do with no ill will. Explaining that both are prominent Muscle car era builds. My first and High school car was a '66 GTO. So I have fondness to that Pontiac.
Lol, wondering if anyone asks Mustang GT owners if a letter is missing from the emblem…is it a GT…O or GT…X? Yeah no ill will…some are just clueless not being car people…like the guy that asked me “Plymouth huh, who made that?” Could have said Packard and he might say “Oh yes, now I think I remember that".

Lol, wondering if anyone asks Mustang GT owners if a letter is missing from the emblem…is it a GT…O or GT…X? Yeah no ill will…some are just clueless not being car people…like the guy that asked me “Plymouth huh, who made that?” Could have said Packard and he might say “Oh yes, now I think I remember that".
Yup. The fact that they are asking and engaged is all good. Which is really part of the whole experience.

hqdefault.jpg

Alot of my friends had GTO's in my youth.... Nice cars that rode well, no rattles and the 389/400 engine was a torque monster that worked well on the street.

Almost bought a 67 GTO Convert - beautiful kind of a creamy yellow with a white vert top. But when I drove it she was soooo slow my first thoughts back then were that all my friends would laugh at me for driving such a dog. As most probably remember back then it was what they could do from under the hood that mattered most. So I waited and continued stalking the scream machine……

Almost bought a 67 GTO Convert - beautiful kind of a creamy yellow with a white vert top. But when I drove it she was soooo slow my first thoughts back then were that all my friends would laugh at me for driving such a dog. As most probably remember back then it was what they could do from under the hood that mattered most. So I waited and continued stalking the scream machine……
Something was wrong with the engine then... Good thing you didnt' buy it

must have been a 2 speed with freeway gears
not most/many GTO's were pigs

or someone didn't know how to tune it
or rebuilt it with low compression junk

or put a 326 in it, disguised/dressed to look like a 400/6.6

Not a car, but still a funny story….

I got a flywheel in a deal with a bunch of parts, it had 130 written on it for the tooth count. I had it sitting on the edge of my swap table, but no price on it because I wasn’t sure what it was for. A guy comes up and asks me if I would take $125, so I said yes. A couple minutes later I realized that he thought the 130 was the price, and before it registered in my mind, he was gone. I would put $75 on it and taken $60, but I hadn’t gotten that far yet.

Not a car, but still a funny story….

I got a flywheel in a deal with a bunch of parts, it had 130 written on it for the tooth count. I had it sitting on the edge of my swap table, but no price on it because I wasn’t sure what it was for. A guy comes up and asks me if I would take $125, so I said yes. A couple minutes later I realized that he thought the 130 was the price, and before it registered in my mind, he was gone. I would put $75 on it and taken $60, but I hadn’t gotten that far yet.
Every so often this kind a stuff happens, what’s the saying “One man’s junk is another’s treasure”? I’ve paid stupid prices for stuff I had been hunting for – for a long time thinking the next time the item may come along will be a long time arriving. On the other hand, I’ve sold a few things on ebay auction getting much more than I ever thought I’d get. Pair of amber parking light lenses I bought at a mopar meet for 40 bucks decided I didn’t want to use. Posted $50 for them and ended up selling those for $200. IMO we might fork over more than we’d like and then occasionally snag real nice deal.

I know the color; it’s kind of stuck in my head as my elder brother bought a ’65 389/tri-power 4sp post in that color. I was 14 or 15 then just dying to get my driver’s license. Remember that goat idling in our driveway sounding sooo neat and his car buddies coming over in their nice rides parked in the driveway with their girlfriends saying “Hi there cutie” pinching my cheek or running their fingers through my hair…launching an immediate boner. Within 48 hours after my 16th birthday I was DRIVING (lucky deal as I had a mostly available ride, ’63 triple black GP 389/tri-power). My mother got a ride to and from work every day with her work friend who lived nearby letting me have wheels for school and such. Ahh doze good old dayz.

Auto Transport Service
Back