• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Story of the "BLACK GHOST"

Um, perhaps Budnicks may have been referring about a couple of cars on the Woodward scene much like this?
Woodward Ave. Legend, Jimmy Addison & the Silver Bullet ...

View attachment 1222493
View attachment 1222494
View attachment 1222495

As Church Lady would say:
SATAN?

View attachment 1222496

Yeah, this car was a real Street Sweeper!
Have the rear wheel wells been swelled to fit the required traction for the beast under the hood? I'm not familiar with this car.

Have the rear wheel wells been swelled to fit the required traction for the beast under the hood? I'm not familiar with this car.
Yep, the rear wheel wells of the Bullet have been massaged to fit bigger tires under the rear. It has also been extensively lightened by Jimmy, using a hole saw all over the car. Anywhere he could, he drilled out holes to lighten up the car, then put the trim back on to cover up the holes. On the original car anyway. Too bad the parties that own the body and motor can’t come together and get the car right again.

Old and new Black Ghosts.

ABAE5369-90AF-40CE-B85A-A2A9EB900823.jpeg

I wonder if Steve Lisk? still has his Challenger from the 70's street racing days. Cool car. Roush had a Stang2 he raced at that time too. Lots of cool rides in Motor City back then.

I loved the old Lisk Challenger as a kid. I built my car due to this car and the 70's pro stock look with a modern twist.

i started my street racing in 65 to 1981 and i've never seen this car or heard of it nice car rare car yes fast for what it is yes but no way the badest in the d the silver bullet was it till about 1974 then joes mustang built by gapp&roush and steve list was the guy to beat. the nugget on thursday nite was the place to be 12 mile & orchard lake rd. tignanelli tom & his dad did the wheel wells on the silver bullet.nothing better thenstanding out on I-96 or I-275 at 4am watching steve and joe get down to it.

p. s. list car is still around but not the same as when he ran it the mustang is at roushs place on the west side

The kid doesn’t need the money. He’s pretty well off. He just doesn’t seem all that into cars honestly. All I know is his dad better he waiting on him in heaven to kick his *** for selling it. You don’t do that when your dad leaves you something that meant so much to him. You just don’t.

Someone is going to pay seven figures for the car based on a story. They are buying the tale as much as they are buying the car. I have no doubt that the car went out and beat on some muscle cars, but it wasn't hanging with the heavy hitters that were running low tens,nearly cracking into the nines at the time.

Someone is going to pay seven figures for the car based on a story. They are buying the tale as much as they are buying the car. I have no doubt that the car went out and beat on some muscle cars, but it wasn't hanging with the heavy hitters that were running low tens,nearly cracking into the nines at the time.
Agreed. When I was a street racer, the scene in Cincy was dead compared to Dayton. I used to haul my 472ci Hemi anglia up to a friends house, park the trailer and take the car up to Woodman or Frisches on Needmore to get a race. It was about 600 hp in a 2400 lb car with me in it. I drove it with slicks on it and it was a handful on the street but never lost a race. It wasn't the fastest, but for something I could cruise and race, it just couldn't be beat. I'd still have it if I hadn't lost it all in a flood. Just sold off everything in disgust afterwards.
So I agree there were much faster cars at the time. Any given Friday or Saturday night anyone could be top dawg. Just too many variables that contribute to a win or a loss on the street. Jmho.

Damn bro...his dad told him don't sell it. I suppose it's better off though. He doesn't seem all that into older muscle cars. Somebody can give it the love it needs.

Damn bro...his dad told him don't sell it. I suppose it's better off though. He doesn't seem all that into older muscle cars. Somebody can give it the love it needs.
Perhaps if this is the outcome, then a real to do retired street racer should fetch it if he or she has the funds. Nothing better other than keeping it than to hand it over to another racer who understands the heat in the kitchen.
As far as King of the street. No one will ever know for sure who was the fastest/quikest on the street in any given town. I persoanlly know cars that won the majority of their fare share of street brawls, but at some given time or another, they had a whipping coming either by default or by horses. The fact that this car loitered and probably participated in the dark streets of Detroit is left to folklore which is strange enough and good enough to keep us up at night.

I remember "Big Willie" personally telling me that he had no intentions of lining up against some players on the street here. That being said, I'm sure that there were cars elsewhere that could make spinach soup out of cars anywhere at that particular time.
The Lisk Challenger among others, including Jim Wranger's 428 "Blackbird" Firebird are cars that were formidable to say the least, but they were either factory ringers or disguised race cars. Perhaps the "Ghost" handpicked his game by the feel of the moment. Who knows and who knew.
All power to the giveth and taketh.

I wonder if Steve Lisk? still has his Challenger from the 70's street racing days. Cool car. Roush had a Stang2 he raced at that time too. Lots of cool rides in Motor City back then.
I remember as a kid reading this article in Hot Rod by Grey Baskerville. It was the first Pro Street car I had ever seen. Obviously, you saw cars running Pro Stock like that but this was rad!
13E9BF60-C1A9-4F35-9357-92706ED5A403.jpeg

I didn’t know the car was red til recently, because Grey’s B+W’s were the only ones in the mag at the time. :D
91B99B96-E0C1-4178-864B-06020A4FE015.jpeg

I think if I am remembering correctly Dick Landys shop built the chassis of this car exactly like his 70 pro stock Challenger was set up.

His dad's actual words were "Don't give it away". You could take that as "Get yourself a good chunk of change for it if you have to sell it."

This video is two years old. Looks like the old Hemi needs a set of rings...

What did the car sell for and I wonder what it actually ran with those slicks and a drag pack in a 1/4?

I remember as a kid reading this article in Hot Rod by Grey Baskerville. It was the first Pro Street car I had ever seen. Obviously, you saw cars running Pro Stock like that but this was rad!View attachment 1404076
I didn’t know the car was red til recently, because Grey’s B+W’s were the only ones in the mag at the time. :D View attachment 1404077
Again, I built my car due to the likes of this car when I seen these very pictures back in the day.

IMG_8664.jpg

IMG_8666.jpg

20221001_151456.jpg

IMG9539301.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back