• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stranded Australian sailor and dog rescued in high sea

He's lucky to survive... He did a lot of things right but most important he got lucky... Thanks for posting...

They didn't tell you, he originally had a crew of 5 dogs and 20 cases of dog food on board. When they found him, only one dog and one case. (just kidding)

Anyone who embarks on an ocean trip like that is soft in the head.
Might want to preface that with IMO... Cause Lots of people have done it and continue to do it... But the smart ones don't do it with complete trust in technology which is what got this guy in trouble... When his electronics failed he was on an ocean with no idea what direction to go...
If he had navigational charts & a simple tool that has existed for over a thousand years & the knowledge of how to use it he would have been fine....

Tablets with navigational software & the ability to receive satellite downloads are great, there are some excellent software packages with detailed data about reefs & shoals, islands & atolls... But when they fail a chart & a sextant would get you home... If he goes back to sea I'm betting he'll be better prepared.... And his dog will tell him to go to hell...

Might want to preface that with IMO... Cause Lots of people have done it and continue to do it... But the smart ones don't do it with complete trust in technology which is what got this guy in trouble... When his electronics failed he was on an ocean with no idea what direction to go...
If he had navigational charts & a simple tool that has existed for over a thousand years & the knowledge of how to use it he would have been fine....

Tablets with navigational software & the ability to receive satellite downloads are great, there are some excellent software packages with detailed data about reefs & shoals, islands & atolls... But when they fail a chart & a sextant would get you home... If he goes back to sea I'm betting he'll be better prepared.... And his dog will tell him to go to hell...
Naw...That dog will love him no matter
his fallacies. A dog's love is
unconditional. If nothing else, their
bond grew stronger.

Anyone who embarks on an ocean trip like that is soft in the head.
He probably never watched Gilligan's Island as a youngster. The guy looked about 75, but was actually only about 50.

1689669994894.png

I've owned many boats and spent a lot of time in and on the water, but no thanks. I have a friend with an ocean going catamaran and a Captain’s License. He had his own business and would take off for weeks to go to sunny skies and tropical waters with anyone that would go with him. He asked me many times, I like being able to pull over to the curb and stretch my legs. I'm glad they are both alright!! Thanks for sharing.

Is all over the news here and no he is not keeping Bella, I don't know why... ( IMO ungrateful sob) she was the angel that keep him alive at least he should have kept her IMHO

Last edited:
Happy guy. I'd be happy too!

gettyimages-1541022553.jpg

Australian sailor Tim Shaddock speaks after arriving at the port of Manzanillo, Mexico, on July 18, 2023. He was rescued after more than two months adrift in the Pacific Ocean with his dog, Bella, after a storm damaged his boat

Is all over the news here and no he is not keeping Bella, I don't know why... ( IMO ungrateful sob) she was the angel that keep him alive at least he should have kept her IMHO

Well that tells me they should have rescued Bella & left he *** drifting.... What the Hell???

Auto Transport Service
Back