• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

shipwrecks

940205-1-1000-3d3bcfae87-1484221939.jpg
Island of ship wrecks Bermuda

USS Indianapolis, Portland Heavy Class Cruiser, 5th fleet
Flagship, was stationed out of Mare Island Northern Ca.
She was sunk/torpedoed by Japanese sub
shortly after delivering "the Atomic bomb Little Boy"
that was dropped on Hiroshima...

Largest single loss of life on record for US Navy

Sunk July 30th 1945, in rout to the Philippines,
1,196 aboard, some 317 survived,
300 went down with the ship, remaining almost 900 were in the water,
for 4 days before spotted by aircraft, many sailors died while in the water,
exposure, dehydration or eaten by sharks
The mission was so secretive they weren't missed or
reported as being overdue or late to port...
Sad story...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Indianapolis_(CA-35)

American USS Indianapolis (CA-35).jpg

Ww leave for Florida tommorow, and I was thinking about stopping in Mobile to see the Battleship USS Alabama.
We have the Texas here which is really a neat piece but the last refurb really decimated a lot of the history that the sailors left from WWII, Jap planes shot down and ships sunk...there used to be talley marks at every gunners station and in the turrets of the 14" guns...its all painted over now. Old ship 1912...

They painted that over! Stuff like that should have been preserved. I went to a Fort that had CW & Span-Am graffiti/drawings etched on the walls preserved behind Plexiglas. Never been to Mobile. Been on the USS Massachusetts, Intrepid as well as a few other ships. When my kids were younger and I was a Cub Scouts Assistant Den Leader we slept overnight on a Destroyer. Was fun but we were close to the engine room and the smell of diesel was thick in the air especially with no air flow.

Ww leave for Florida tommorow, and I was thinking about stopping in Mobile to see the Battleship USS Alabama.
We have the Texas here which is really a neat piece but the last refurb really decimated a lot of the history that the sailors left from WWII, Jap planes shot down and ships sunk...there used to be talley marks at every gunners station and in the turrets of the 14" guns...its all painted over now. Old ship 1912...

Theyve redone the Tx several times, it had the original wood deck, now covered in concrete..., as a kid the turrets and elevators worked on the AA guns, they dont anymore....its pretty sad, but still neat.
My oldest & my wife got to spend the night on the carrier USS Lexington as part of her ROTC camp...I love visiting any war memorials, it gives a lot of perspective of what our men/women endured protecting this country!

I could listen ( sometimes do) to the likes of Johnny Horton, Marty Robbins and Red Sovine all the time. Grew up as a kid listening to dad play and sing to those songs!

I could listen ( sometimes do) to the likes of Johnny Horton, Marty Robbins and Red Sovine all the time. Grew up as a kid listening to dad play and sing to those songs!
Yep me too, same scenario, step dad Bob's albums...

I was just listening to Marty Robbins
on youtube after I posted that too....

You probably know the Drum is there as well.
I read on the internet that they used them for this movie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/whttp://ww...80963241/iki/USS_Indianapolis:_Men_of_Courage

Auto Transport Service
Back