• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strange looking brake fluid???

Think original 66 MC cap are vented to air. The alcohol based brake fluid attracts moisture. As said wheel cylinders rebuild and or sleeved, brake lines flushed or replaced.

I don’t see a vent in this one but it’s obviously a replacement.

Does it have rubber seal with that fill the air space as the fluid level falls? If so it's a later MC. I'm not 100% positive on vented to air.

It has a heavy rubber shield that would flex with vacuum. The center bolt probably doesn’t seal that solidly.

FYI - Ordered a Raybestos master cylinder. It‘s made it Taiwan which I would consider at least a step up from China. No embossed lettering on the cap.

Just a thought, but here goes…
you say that you bought the car last year. Is it possible that the seller pressure washed the engine compartment and forced water into the MC? It’s a long shot but in my career of painting stuff I’ve seen high pressure water get into some unexpected places.

My upgraded M/C lid clamp

IMG_7598.jpg

Maybe, not sure it was pressure washed at the dealer. I’ve bought all new MC, wheel cylinders, enatured fluid for flushing lines, Motive pressure bleeder and two quarts of DOT5. Sometime this winter I’ll go through it.

Auto Transport Service
Back