• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strange problem, headlights on my 67 coronet

TekHousE

Local time
4:33 PM
Reaction score
[SOLVED] Strange problem, headlights on my 67 coronet

OK,

So my headlights were working perfectly after I changed the headlight loom to suit H4's. 2 relays and new wiring. (loom was purchased from ebay and included the relays). SO worked perfectly for weeks!

But the other day, no more headlights and I cannot work out why. Tested each individual lamp connector, all getting power. I was wondering if the problem could be the light switch in my dash? I have a new one on order anyway, as I wanted to get a better one with new knobs on it.

The strange part?

The rear lights turn on when the knob is pulled out. The parking lights work when the knob is in first position too!

Dome interior light is working, dash dimmer is working too.

Could it be that the dash switch is faulty ONLY on the headlight on position?

OH, forgot to say I checked the foot dimmer switch, all connections are good.

Last edited:
so check for voltage at the harness ends with the switch in the headlight on position....no power....I'm leaning towards the switch

I checked grounds..all good..

I think it's the switch too..Problem is have to wait until the one I ordered get's here..could be a while..

is there power at the lights in the headlight position ?

I'll check tomorrow..it's past midnight here now..But if I cannot solve it tomorrow morning, I'm taking it to a electrician, I'm either missing something critical or not skilled enough to hunt this down.

Problem solved!

Headlight switch is the problem..

My mechanic mate and I jumpered the headlight switch..BAM! Lights turn on..

SO here is a novel solution if you are ever in my situation, need to order new headlight switch and/or it's making it's sweet time getting to you. CAVEAT, this only works if you have a decent 'parts' bin full of Chrysler cast offs..

My mate dug about in a box full of LATE model Chrysler gear, he found a NEON headlight switch..Well what do you know, it is a direct copy of the ones in our cars! Ok there are a few more blades on the NEON switch block, but take it from me..and these photos, it is a direct fit for my '67 Coronet headlight loom! I was amazed..

OK it is hanging there at the moment, but I get my new switch on Tuesday and now..I can still cruise this weekend and have LEGALLY working headlights!

CameraZOOM-20140530162259445.jpg

CameraZOOM-20140530162310217.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back