• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strange transmission seal issue

Brewer came through with everything and the removal tool popped the old bushing out with minimum drama and a new one pushed in. Getting the old seal out was the biggest battle.

The Dana 60 pinion seal was seeping a bit too so I ordered one for that too while I’m at it. I got the pinion nut loose but I’ve got to fabricate a spanner bar to bolt to the yoke to hold it while torquing the nut back down. I may have to get one of my more portly friends to torque it back down.

A large pipe wrench with padding holds yoke well. Do you have a one use nut or a lock type?

That’s a good question Fran - not sure. How do I go about identifying a lock type? This one has a slight acorn top to it.

beerestoration2017 1967.JPG
beerestoration2017 1968.JPG

First picture reusable second one use (had the threads strip when I remove it) note the dimples at 2 oclock to egg the nut.
dre.JPG
done.JPG

Thanks, I’ll look at mine closer tomorrow but probably get a new one. The yokes were out of supply at Brewers so I have a couple weeks or so to kill anyhow.

That looks like a good approach but I don’t have a pipe wrench that large. But I do have some angle iron, plate steel and a welder so with a bit of work I’ll rig up a spanner bar to lock under the lift ramp.

I used to have a newer Shelby Mustang that required the lug nuts to be torqued to 150 ft-lbs so I had to buy a big torque wrench. But I think this may be more on the order of the 2’ break over bar I have with a length of pipe over that.

But I do have some angle iron, plate steel and a welder so with a bit of work I’ll rig up a spanner bar to lock under the lift ramp.

Or maybe just a couple pieces of scrap 1/4" and about 20 minutes. Worked great last winter, and fits in the tool box drawer.
IMG_2045.JPG

That something like I have in mind. I have a piece of 2x2 angle about 6’ long and a piece about a foot long. I plan to lay them side by side far enough apart for my 1-1/4” socket to fit, weld a piece of 1/8” plate across the back of them - dropped down far enough from the ends for socket clearance, and then drill them for the yoke bolt pattern.

A bit of work but I have the materials and it will give me a chance to practice my welding skills of managing to securely weld two pieces of metal together with absolutely terrible looking welds and technique. At least the metal is wide enough that I can turn up the amps and zap the hell out of without fear of burning through it.

Home made tool. Yeah, I know the welds are ugly. Lack of skills and 15 year old spool of flux core wire.
F23E01E5-9E9F-4E88-B655-AAFD0EECFF28.jpeg
C83F193E-91AB-4E19-A412-C814767A4284.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back