• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stripped Balancer Holes (Cast Crank 440)

fuffl

Local time
4:27 AM
Reaction score
Of the 6 holes, 3 are stripped. All on the same side. Doesn't seem to be enough room to get a nut on the back side. Any other tips on how to remove the balancer now that I can't use my standard bird-foot shaped puller?

Side note, 2 were already stripped. The bolt pulled out of the 3rd hole when trying to pull the balancer with the standard universal puller from the parts store. Is this motor not supposed to use the normal style puller?

Heli-coil to repair the bolt holes. The pulley bolt holes are a little small for a puller like that. Soak the bore for the crank with Kroil or Liquid Wrench.

If you can drill +tap one of stripped so puller will work? Maybe a slightly larger (metric?) self tapping bolt just to get it off?

SAE.
Whatever you need to do.
I would consider it junk anyway.

Don is right it’s toast so weld threaded rod then bolt and washer on pull that sucker and use as a door stop.
Good Luck

I'd heli-coil it. Simple enough. Even if you have to pull the radiator and do it in the car.
Doug

Never used a jaw-puller on a damper.
I knew a dude that insisted on using one every single time. I already know why you shouldn't, but in case of emergency it does work. I would replace mine if it were already stripped out. I'm not going to throw it out of balance trying to rig some heli-coil in it.

Last edited:
I've balanced plenty of engines. 3 heli-coils is not going to even come close to throwing anything out of balance.
Doug

Why not drill it out and tap it. Next size bolt... Then pull it.

Don't use a puller the goes over the inertia ring, you'll pull it off! Even if you don't, it'll have excessive runout and the elastomer will most likely be damaged. 440'

Don't use a puller the goes over the inertia ring, you'll pull it off! Even if you don't, it'll have excessive runout and the elastomer will most likely be damaged. 440'
ok Mr. big red X , let me clarify, if you don't care about saving it, grab the ****** with a gear puller and yank it off.
if it were mine and I had 3 stripped out holes , I would just get a new one instead of screwing around with it. I guess I should have just said that from the beginning LOL

Three stripped out holes sounds like my 'ex; do what I did and go out and get another one. A damper, I mean..

Assumptions.... assumption one, you think its toast and you just want it gone- drill and tap for a bigger bolt, use the puller you have. Or use a jaw puller and booger it all to heck . Assumption two, you would like to save it- helicoils. Done properly, at least as strong as the original threads, wont even alter the balance by a gram, still be able to use your pulleys
Assumption three, never done a helicoil- invest in a kit and learn to use them, or buy a new damper, see assumption one.

Any other tips on how to remove the balancer now that I can't use my standard bird-foot shaped puller?
Side note, 2 were already stripped. The bolt pulled out of the 3rd hole when trying to pull the balancer with the standard universal puller from the parts store. Is this motor not supposed to use the normal style puller?

Something went wrong. The factory service manual shows a two bar puller using pulley bolt holes 180* opposite each other. If you did not have force applied squarely acros the hub, you will have problems. If the balancer was installed on a dirty snout, if the motor set outside in the weather, if the snout is bent, you'll have troubles. If the balancer is OK, I'd fix it with a few heli-coils and a drill press. The crank pulley must be square and true, else it will beat up belts and accessory brackets.

Going forward, I'd set a dial indicator on the snout after the balancer is off and asses the condition. If the crank is OK, move on to the balancer.

Once you get set up and start to pull again....... If you have a tuff one like it seems, add a little lube, wd 40 or the like and put some tension on it then walk away, put some more pull/tension on it a while later give it a few taps with a hammer, not crazy just a easy wrap or 3.
More pull later it will come off, just dont rush it.

Rent a puller/installer from Advance Auto Parts after you install the helicoils. You'll need good holes to bolt your pully back on. Or buy a new dampner.

This kit made it easy for removal and installing. #33
download (1).jpeg

Thanks for the tips everyone! The balancer seemed to be bad anyway, so I drilled and tapped new holes to get it out. Will replace with a new one from 440 source.

Auto Transport Service
Back