• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sub Frame Connectors

Not entirely so, yours do weld to the floors but most weld in subframe connectors only weld to the front crossmember and rear frame rails. On the type you installed the floor becomes the final side of the box seeing how it's a channels instead of a box whereas most are true box tubing and are quite rigid.

Just adding to this, the height of the connector greatly increases its ability to resist bending. Connectors that span from the front to rear only are not nearly as effective as those welded to the pan, or even better, those where the floor has been cut and boxed tubing has been installed through the floor. The support of having the connector fixed to the floor helps immensely as well, as free edges are more likely to move around under high loads.

Bending Stress = Mc/I...Where 'I' is moment of inertia of the cross section of the connector in this case.

As for installation, I measured and leveled everything, cut the floor where the connectors were going to be installed, verified that nothing moved, then put in 2x3 tubing.

I installed the U.S cartool kit SFC/torque boxes/inner fender braces/moved springs in as well and the lower rad support, really nice kit a little tweeking here and there but overall really nice fit. I am sure it will be a lot stiffer now. I also welded up a lot of seams while I had the chance. thx Bruce

Great pics, I have a question, you moved the springs in, can you fit a 3" exhaust and the stock fuel tank? How big of a tire can you fit with the springs moved?

Thank you

Ok another question , with weld-in frame connectors , how does that affect the routing of the e-brake cables, will I be able to still used them or will they rub

Ok another question , with weld-in frame connectors , how does that affect the routing of the e-brake cables, will I be able to still used them or will they rub

Some people just re-route the cable. Others run the cable through holes in the connectors. Here's the holes supplied from Auto Rust Technicians:
brake cable hole.jpg

To keep the strength of the connector, I have seen guys drill and weld a tube into into the connector and pass the cable thru the tube.

I welded my uscartool connectors everywhere they could be welded after insuring my chassis was straight with mucho measurements, plumb-bobs, lasers, and a lot of sharpie marks on my garage floor. I also connected them into my roll bar system which goes from shock towers to rear-end hump, kinda like bridge girders. Here's the factory spec drawing incase anyone needs it.

Attachments

• IMAG1051_zpsfc3c56dc.jpg
    IMAG1051_zpsfc3c56dc.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 293
Thanks photon and darter, I plan on using us cartools conns. That's a good idea using a pipe welded Into place

Auto Transport Service
Back