• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sub frame connectors

I have the bolt in kind due to the fact that the vendor told me that the interior would need to be removed for the weld in ones. Did you need to remove the interior to weld the connectors on? My passenger side quarter panel door jamb area now has a fine crack in the paint after getting it painted two years ago. Driver side quarter panel door jamb area cracked before I had the car re-painted and I was hoping the bolt in frame connectors would stiffen the car up and stop the cracks.

Another item to think of for the U.S. Car Tool units fittment: how many years of butts sitting in a seat can cause the floor to sag since there are no reinforcements on the pan other than the ribs/beading in it.

Mine went in with a little tweeking but overall they fit good, i painted the inside areas with some zink paint i had and i will pop a couple of small holes in a couple of areas to spray in some Krown rust proofing or something similar then put a couple body plugs in the holes. also did the torque boxes/spring relocate mini tub/inner fender braces and the lower rad support, also welded up alot of the factory seams, should be much stiffer now.

View attachment 267785An update for anyone interested in my progress. Got the sub frame connectors welded in and did the POR 15 treatment. I followed the instructions to the letter and it came out as predicted. I will do the rest of the underside but at a later date, just wanted to give this aspect a try and protect the raw metal from the onset while doing a trial run for this product. Thanks for the help with installation of the sub frame connectors and ALL the advice with DO's and DON'TS of the POR15.View attachment 267786

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_0517.JPGIMG_0518.JPGHere are the pictures that didn't load the first time.Mocajava

I would recommended it, at least the carpet, padding and front seat. The metal is thin and heats to red hot very quickly...the last thing you want is a fire started in your prize! I needed to hammer (lightly) the tacks down as I went to reduce the gaps as what I got didn't fit that well from US Cartools. Not blaming them, as I was told by other FBBO members" these are designed to fit their test car and the factory always had variances when they assembled cars". I am happy now with the final results, just had to adapt to a lot more fitment adjusting than I was expecting. "It is what it is".

- - - Updated - - -

Got lost trying to add to my last post...oops, haven't figured out all the aspects of doing these replies. Anyway, I cut the pads for buckets seats and welded them in while I was at it. Mine has a bench now but I may want to add buckets later. Welded those pads in before I did the POR15 on complete underside to keep from burning that off. Mocajava

Wasn't it fun welding on the connectors on the rocker sides compared to the trans side? Not much room up there to get the welding head in plus contorting yourself to try and see where you are during the process.

Absolutely! Thought several times about just skip welding the outer seams and leaving it at that. I perservered and finished the job the right way though, welded from one end to the other....stubborn I guess. Asthetics mean a lot to me and I know i would have kicked myself the first time someone saw it incomplete and made a comment. Will be doing the entire underside with POR15 after I get engine, tranny and rear end stripped out of her. That will be a winter project for me.

When I did the ones on Mikes car, I lifted up the back of the car with the rolling jack which is part of my lift. No way jose could I have gotten my anorexic [6' 250lb] butt in that area without some extra elevation. Even then, it was a challenge. Got a few burns through the cotton welding jacket. If I had worn my leather one, it would have been a non issue. But it was 100 plus with the humidity close to it and I was sweating major with the cotton. Oh well!

As I remember, the carpet was left in. I think we wet the carpet and kept an eye on it. The welder did end up in the emergency room with a helluva rash from scraping off the undercoating. Asbestos probably. Wear proper protection.

Auto Transport Service
Back