• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Submarines

this was my Sub on 6/11/1968. I was about 100 feet under and 50 feet to the right, in the sonar shack. The other pic is the US John Marshall, the Polaris sub I served on for almost 3 years of my enlistment. Great ship, 2 great Crews, and lots of memories. I was onboard when both these pictures were taken about 3 weeks apart.

scan0001.jpg

scan.jpg

this was my Sub on 6/11/1968. I was about 100 feet under and 50 feet to the right, in the sonar shack. The other pic is the US John Marshall, the Polaris sub I served on for almost 3 years of my enlistment. Great ship, 2 great Crews, and lots of memories. I was onboard when both these pictures were taken about 3 weeks apart.

View attachment 1403692

View attachment 1403704

Coworker was Marshall out of Guam late early 80s. Went from SSBN to Slow attack when he was on-board. 2 CREWS, EASY STREET duty!!! :lol:ST shack, use to hang out with "BIG MIKE", Did CEP during tracking parties, SSN stuff. NICE PICS!!

Coworker was Marshall out of Guam late early 80s. Went from SSBN to Slow attack when he was on-board. 2 CREWS, EASY STREET duty!!! :lol:ST shack, use to hang out with "BIG MIKE", Did CEP during tracking parties, SSN stuff. NICE PICS!!

I was USAF during the 1970's, and i never heard this tremonology "Chair Force" during my enlistments.
When did this come about?
hemi71x
Jim V.
I heard guys at Incirlik joking about it.... Probably 71-72...

My Dad would say: Join the Navy, see the world through a porthole.

As my Dad (B-17 bombardier/navigator) would jokingly say: Join the Army Air Corps, see the world through a Norden bombsight.

True story.

Meanwhile I was on the surface pinging you guys! We were enroute to Porto Rico and picked up a passive noise in our wake shifting slightly left to right. Reported it to CIC and recommended to deploy the passive tail then shift quickly to see if we could pick up a signature. Sure enough we got a 50MHz pump that classified as a Russian sub. Went to full chase mode and turned on it and went active and chased it for about 30 minutes. was the only encounter with a Russian sub in my 10 years as a Sonar Tech.

Meanwhile I was on the surface pinging you guys! We were enroute to Porto Rico and picked up a passive noise in our wake shifting slightly left to right. Reported it to CIC and recommended to deploy the passive tail then shift quickly to see if we could pick up a signature. Sure enough we got a 50MHz pump that classified as a Russian sub. Went to full chase mode and turned on it and went active and chased it for about 30 minutes. was the only encounter with a Russian sub in my 10 years as a Sonar Tech.
From one ST to another, Good Job.

The ST brotherhood is showing!!
How do you give a surface ship ST a "OH ****" moment???

Flood 3 torpedo tubes & open the3 outer doors at once!! :lol:

Grandfather was Army Aircorps during war, believe he was attached to P38 unit in Germany, from what I gathered from his unit. Need time to due further research.

Hey JDmac, Ignore the X I mistakenly gave your post above. Just crawled out of the rack a while ago and hit the wrong key. Now you why they wouldn't let me be a Missile Fire Control Tech. LOL

That you knew about...

Chuck (snook)

My dad was in the Army and then he switched to the Air Force. Growing up as an USAF brat, dad always said “Join the USMC and sleep in the mud; join the Army and sleep in a foxhole; join the Navy and sleep in clean sheets on a floating target; join the USAF and sleep at home!” :thumbsup::lol:

My dad was in the Army and then he switched to the Air Force. Growing up as an USAF brat, dad always said “Join the USMC and sleep in the mud; join the Army and sleep in a foxhole; join the Navy and sleep in clean sheets on a floating target; join the USAF and sleep at home!” :thumbsup::lol:
My last command was a LST Officially "Landing Ship Tank" I always referred to it as a "Long Slow Target"... :lol:

@Ray70Chrg: NICE TRY RAY!!! Watchman woke your butt up in plenty of time for mid-rats, shower & get on watch!!! And you were our "eyes & ears"??? GOD HELP US!!

:rofl:

Auto Transport Service
Back