• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sucess is not always found with a degree.

My dad was a simple and quiet guy. We’re at the annual Xmas get together at grandma and grandpa’s house. The whole family is there. I have 30 cousins. I’m maybe 16 years old. My uncle, the electrician, and his oldest sons start going on about how you should get paid for what you know.

Later dad pulls me aside. Dad is never pissed. He’s pissed. “You get paid for what you do, and the value you bring, not what you know. Don’t forget it, and get that other **** out of your head right now”.

I reflect on this often to this day.

The other take away for those that love to complain about young folks, my cousins still believe that you should get paid for what you know. They are now in there 70s.

Stupid thinking did not start with Gen X or the Millennials.
There're a few things that you do get paid for because of what you know, if I understand your statement right. My daughter is the last person you see, as she puts you to sleep for your operation. Her malpractice insurance would take your breath away. Ten years and thank God she's never disappointed a family with a sad story. She makes me crazy, but she's extremely bright. For the record, she got it from her mother. If it was me doing it, you'd be dead.

Once big money is made, money makes money, just look at the Kardashians who are just about as dumb as a rock. Kim Kardashian made her start in a movie I like to call, heels to jesus. The simplest of organisms can do that.
I doubt that she would have even made a first movie if it weren't for her father Robert Kardashian being a friend, and the defence lawyer for O.J. Simpson. Nobody outside of the legal world knew that name before then.

Sometimes it's both.. what you know and what you do. I get paid for both, if I knew less I'd probably make more money by the hour! LOL
DCP04284.JPG

DCP04335.JPG

Our youngest cost me 7 years of post secondary by the time she had her Masters in Architecture and her own little stamp in her hand. This "little" home that she did all the drawings for and White hatted as site foreman as well took 2 years to draw and do all the stress calcs on and 3 years to build. She also got paid for what she knows and what she does.

Then the guys Wife divorces him and they had to sell it, for 31 million dollars. The structural front wall glass alone was over a million.

Is she any more important than the guy with a grade 8 education framing and putting it together? Absolutely not and he probably got paid more than she did, but wouldn't have had the work without her and those like her.
kristalmastersgraduation 052.JPG

khouse.jpg

Last edited:
I doubt that she would have even made a first movie if it weren't for her father Robert Kardashian being a friend, and the defence lawyer for O.J. Simpson. Nobody outside of the legal world knew that name before then.
You're probably right, but actually, it was Bruce Jenner that saved Chris from staving to death. He was behind the show that they took over and threw him to the street, as I understand it. LOL

There're a few things that you do get paid for because of what you know, if I understand your statement right. My daughter is the last person you see, as she puts you to sleep for your operation. Her malpractice insurance would take your breath away. Ten years and thank God she's never disappointed a family with a sad story. She makes me crazy, but she's extremely bright. For the record, she got it from her mother. If it was me doing it, you'd be dead.

Your previous post suggested that your daughter thinks she should get paid more because of 8 years of college. This was the the basis for my comment. And it stands.

I presume your daughter is being competitively compensated for actually performing (I.e. “doing”) anesthesia not merely because she went to college for 8 years. That’s the difference and distinction I was making in my previous post.

And congratulations to you and your daughter. I can tell you’re proud, as you should be.

Your previous post suggested that your daughter thinks she should get paid more because of 8 years of college. This was the the basis for my comment. And it stands.

I presume your daughter is being competitively compensated for actually performing (I.e. “doing”) anesthesia not merely because she went to college for 8 years. That’istinction I was making in my previous s the difference and dpost.
I totally understand. Yes, the compensation is for actually administering anesthesia. 8 years of college is a must and without it, there is no on the job training. Ask your doctor if he's merely a doctor and college was not in the equation. So yes, she got the job only because she HAD the 8 years of school. That's the distinction I was making in my previous post and now.

Success.... :)

My only life observation re: career-type stuff is that if you choose a path of noble integrity
(basically, sticking to the straight and narrow and what you know to be true, regardless of
whether anyone else is watching or if it will benefit your bottom line) - it's gonna be a rough
ride at times.
Scratch that, it's going to be a tough row to hoe most of the time in this world if I'm honest....

I had no choice in this life - I was raised to be honest regardless of consequences.
Turns out, I'm in a line of work where that comes into play very often - with possible life safety
and liability consequences should I not be so inclined.
Ironically, it's cost me dearly at times financially/career-wise. Turns out, there's a lot of nefarious
folks in contracting of any sort, leave alone my line of work.

Still, that's my only recommendation to any young folk out there - a life built on integrity, character
and honesty is one you never have to apologize for and one you can sleep at night on.
I won't lie - it'll be hard as hell to stick to it at times. Pressures will come to bear that you might be
tempted to waver...
Just don't. Set it in stone and carry on.

To me, personally, I've had the Greatest success anyone could have had.... the greatest wife, the greatest kids, and now the greatest grandchildren. Nothing else to me matters.

And congratulations to you and your daughter. I can tell you’re proud, as you should be.
This wasn’t about her job, it was about me making money she things I shouldn't because of my lack of college, but thank you. There are a lot of ways to make money without college.

Needs always come first, money for savings and then wants, in that order.

Got it.

Many of the folks I know that are successful entrepreneurs/ business owners don’t have college degrees. Those that do, the degree really didn’t matter.

There’s a kid down the road that started doing small residential yard grading/seeding projects when he was in high school. Today, he has more yellow iron, tri-axel dump trucks, paving equipment, and trailers than you can shake a stick at and I don’t know how many full time employees. He’ll bang out a quarter million dollar paving job in a few days. I think he’s 32 now. No College.

Back in the 60's none of my uncles had any formal education. A couple didn't graduate from High school but they owned service stations, a Winnebago dealership, a Ford dealership, an excavating company, and a car repair and towing service. They all did ok for themselves. They weren't born into money either. Grandpa farmed 80 acres and Grandma did ironing for people. THey all grew up during the depression.

My life lessons have taught me there are four main avenues/factors in achieving the proverbial goal of success:

1. Pure luck, not the luck you make, the kind that prevents a meteor from bouncing off the sidewalk and hitting you in the face.
2. Luck of where you where born, your country, your genes, your family/parents, your era, etc
3. Your sweat, your effort. your gumption, your drive, your inspiration to achieve, to excel, to learn (education), etc
4. Your scruples/values, or lack there of.

The last one can overcome the others to a large degree.

Thinking Karma plays any part merely is brainwashing to keep the masses in line.

Auto Transport Service
Back