• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sucess is not always found with a degree.

But if one was a pessimist and had high expectations of failure, if they failed would it actually be a success? Would that then be a good day or a bad day, and would one learn from it?
Pessimists start out or are failures from the get go. It by itself, is the start of a bad day. What is learned is that the glass is half full.

Married at 20 with $13.84 in the bank and a bun in the oven, I only had one way to go and it wasn't an easy climb!

I agree with what was presented to us as the "billionaire's" message. But I'm curious, what does everyone think the billionaire's definition of failure is? And with that, whats the definition of success?

Somehow, this post seems to be about dissing college and those that have college degrees. The OP's opening post, to me, has absolutely nothing to do with college, or the title of this thread. Why would anyone think that going to college is somehow a failure free path.

A person's success is not necessarily due to enduring failures, or having a college degree, or no degree, or an Ivy League diploma. It has everything to do with who they are. Certainly life’s lessons will influence the choices, paths taken and who they become.

Last edited:
I tried to ovoid the comment from a billionaire, it means nothing. There are about 2650 billionaires in the world and about 8 billion people on earth. Many that are billionaires found one thing that they just fell on that made them wealthy. Once big money is made, money makes money, just look at the Kardashians who are just about as dumb as a rock. Kim Kardashian made her start in a movie I like to call, heels to jesus. The simplest of organisms can do that.

Success comes in every size and not one is really better than the other. My graduating high school class had 119 students in it and they all successed, they ALL passed. First in class, to last in class, they all made it and all have what they NEED to make it. Success is measured in smiles, not in a dollar. My wife always tells me, these sad Hollywood stars are better off sad with money, versus, sad and broke, it's always about the buck for them. We have people on our forum that have a lot to be thankful for and none of it has to do with a couple of houses, planes, money and a pile of cars. How many have things that money just can't buy, a great wife, kids, and the one constant joy, grandkids. The list goes on, but you get my point. An old house, an old car and a yard full of family running around spreading the love, that's success by any measurement and many have that, thank God.

At church on sunday, many years ago, the priest was going on about how he was invited to a home for dinner and went on about a few chips in a plate of these POOR people, while all they had to eat was chicken, potatoes and corn. I was looking around the room and many were upset by the comment. Of Course, after the service, I stopped him and we had a talk, because that's how I roll. I told him the example was disgusting and all of those POOR people built the church and gave him a table to put his feet under. The next week he clarified his comment and I never went back, fact. Everyone there, was successful and proud................. Next time to go to your successful doctor, asked him where in his class he graduated, first or last...... Ulli.

Somehow, this post seems to be about dissing college and those that have college degrees
Good comments. Tossing everyone in the same basket is never an accurate assumption. Gets some peeved, including me. I know and have worked with tons of people who have a 4-year degree (and more) and doing fine – good people. Conversely, a few I knew, including a boss I had, made my life a bitch. In retrospect had nothing to do with their degrees, it was just the ‘person’.

I got a BSME and a masters. Worked for the USAF and GE for a lot of my career. I found out after I retired from the Air Force that working for someone else most likely will never get you the rewards that you can get working for yourself. I tripled my highest full time pay working part time for myself now. I faked it until I made it as a forensic engineer. Now I have over 20 years in my second career and could have retired 20 years ago.

My advice to young people is this: find a niche that interests you and create your own business opportunities. Get the degrees (if necessary), licenses and certifications that will help you excel. Set your own parameters after you get the qualifications.
View attachment 1630777
that's awesome. How did you get started in forensics? Did you learn some of the basics in the USAF or how did you convince people to hire you in the beginning?

Well we live in a twisted dysfunctional world. I can tell you in the tech industry competence and experience has no value and only the level of highest education is recognized.

I had many debates with management passing over experienced competent engineers only to select the candidates with Master degrees. Some of these new hires would simply not contribute as they had no experience or intuition to proceed on a project. These individuals eventually get promoted to managers. Then the cycle repeats on hiring only candidates with the highest level of education.

This is one of the many reasons the USA cannot compete globally in the tech industry and why we depend on China for outsourcing.

that's awesome. How did you get started in forensics? Did you learn some of the basics in the USAF or how did you convince people to hire you in the beginning?
I started by reviewing USAF contractor construction claims against the government. I had to review all of the contract documents and recreate what happened in order to determine whether the claim had merit or not. As I approached retirement, I thought that this was interesting and maybe I could continue doing this in retirement. I found a forensic consulting company in the area and listed with them. They had clients who were looking for expertise in construction and non-construction legal matters, which I did, but only in construction claims. Well, many of them wanted trip and fall experts and since I knew how to read regulations, I just switched over to industry standards, building and municipal codes. Then I investigated the incidents with the same eye for detail that I used to evaluate construction claims. I faked the specific legal jargon and the lawyers who hired me gave me the missing phrases as I went along. I now pick and choose which cases that I take. I also testified in federal court for the USAF as their technical expert. This helped me to testify in civilian matters now.

Good comments. Tossing everyone in the same basket is never an accurate assumption. Gets some peeved, including me. I know and have worked with tons of people who have a 4-year degree (and more) and doing fine – good people. Conversely, a few I knew, including a boss I had, made my life a bitch. In retrospect had nothing to do with their degrees, it was just the ‘person’.
I took it as not everyone needs college to succeed. A degree is necessary for a guy to check my heart and a remove my gallbladder, but not to put siding on my house. It's a measure of success in everyday needs. I wouldn't take it seriously or as an insult. My daughter has 8 years of college and I wouldn't let her touch me without it. I have no college and I'm successful, pisses my daughter off sometimes. In her simple mind she thinks she deserves more, not necessarily true. Sometimes it makes her mad that I make almost as much as her, while I am sleeping. Different strokes, for different folks.

Last edited:
Well we live in a twisted dysfunctional world. I can tell you in the tech industry competence and experience has no value and only the level of highest education is recognized.

I had many debates with management passing over experienced competent engineers only to select the candidates with Master degrees. Some of these new hires would simply not contribute as they had no experience or intuition to proceed on a project. These individuals eventually get promoted to managers. Then the cycle repeats on hiring only candidates with the highest level of education.

This is one of the many reasons the USA cannot compete globally in the tech industry and why we depend on China for outsourcing.
It's not just the tech industry. Guy who sold me my Hemi GTX described the exact same thing with engineers in a corporate construction company he had worked for. My attorney is caught in the same bind with her associates. Private firms that provide services for higher net worth clients have always tended to hire folks from the top 10% of the class, or those who served on law review. This provides assurance of sufficient analytical intelligence for dealing with tax issues, and looks good in a firm's professional listing. A generation ago, even these academically top tier candidates had worked real jobs during high school and college.

The new generation, I was told, has devoted all their time from high school on getting good grades, and participating in activities that look good on college and law school applications. No practical experience of any kind. The upshot is bright lawyers, with no skills dealing with clients face to face, an essential requirement if a firm is to continue generating new business.

i can’t tell how many times i’ve thought “ what the hell were these people thinking when they designed this “! cars , trucks, motorcycles and big industrial builds alike !!! i had an interesting conversation with out plant manager one day . he is a good down to earth guy . we were informed by management that the hours left for building the project we’re getting low , we may have to punch in on building maintenance or something else to hide our time . odd thing was we just started on the project. when we was in private i asked mr.PM about the situation. his reply the engineers ring it dry .” we been building this system for 30 years and the mistakes on the blueprints have never been corrected, the engineers don’t have the time to make the corrections “! amazing….my thoughts, then what are the engineers engineering?

i can’t tell how many times i’ve thought “ what the hell were these people thinking when they designed this “! cars , trucks, motorcycles and big industrial builds alike !!! i had an interesting conversation with out plant manager one day . he is a good down to earth guy . we were informed by management that the hours left for building the project we’re getting low , we may have to punch in on building maintenance or something else to hide our time . odd thing was we just started on the project. when we was in private i asked mr.PM about the situation. his reply the engineers ring it dry .” we been building this system for 30 years and the mistakes on the blueprints have never been corrected, the engineers don’t have the time to make the corrections “! amazing….my thoughts, then what are the engineers engineering?
I had this problem with engineering for years. I don't care what they do, but you put your hand in my pocket, I'm making an example out of you and I won't have to lie about it and you won't like it.

we had an issues one day at the plant . engineering came out to look at the problem. he was throughly confused , said didn’t look like this on the cad ! my lead man took him by the arm , leading him back towards the office . i overheard him say , don’t worry bob we got this . remember we’re here to make you look good . lmfao!!!!

I know people who couldn't find success even if they used a flashlight, a road map, or a seeing eye dog........makes me wonder how they've lived this long.....

....and that's all I has to say 'bout that!!!!! :BangHead:

You know my brother in law?

I got a BSME and a masters. Worked for the USAF and GE for a lot of my career. I found out after I retired from the Air Force that working for someone else most likely will never get you the rewards that you can get working for yourself. I tripled my highest full time pay working part time for myself now. I faked it until I made it as a forensic engineer. Now I have over 20 years in my second career and could have retired 20 years ago.

My advice to young people is this: find a niche that interests you and create your own business opportunities. Get the degrees (if necessary), licenses and certifications that will help you excel. Set your own parameters after you get the qualifications.
View attachment 1630777
There is a saying that if one does what they love, the Money will come!!! I am a firm believer of that as well...cr8crshr/Bill:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::usflag::usflag::usflag:

My daughter has 8 years of college and I wouldn't let her touch me without it. I have no college and I'm successful, pisses my daughter off sometimes. In her simple mind she thinks she deserves more, not necessarily true. Sometimes it makes her mad that I make almost as much….

My dad was a simple and quiet guy. We’re at the annual Xmas get together at grandma and grandpa’s house. The whole family is there. I have 30 cousins. I’m maybe 16 years old. My uncle, the electrician, and his oldest sons start going on about how you should get paid for what you know.

Later dad pulls me aside. Dad is never pissed. He’s pissed. “You get paid for what you do, and the value you bring, not what you know. Don’t forget it, and get that other **** out of your head right now”.

I reflect on this often to this day.

The other take away for those that love to complain about young folks, my cousins still believe that you should get paid for what you know. They are now in there 70s.

Stupid thinking did not start with Gen X or the Millennials.

My dad was a simple and quiet guy. We’re at the annual Xmas get together at grandma and grandpa’s house. The whole family is there. I have 30 cousins. I’m maybe 16 years old. My uncle, the electrician, and his oldest sons start going on about how you should get paid for what you know.

Later dad pulls me aside. Dad is never pissed. He’s pissed. “You get paid for what you do, and the value you bring, not what you know. Don’t forget it, and get that other **** out of your head right now”.

I reflect on this often to this day.

The other take away for those that love to complain about young folks, my cousins still believe that you should get paid for what you know. They are now in there 70s.

Stupid thinking did not start with Gen X or the Millennials.
Intelligence beyond a normal level is overrated.
Hard work, good judgment, and persistence will take you a long way.

The new generation, I was told, has devoted all their time from high school on getting good grades, and participating in activities that look good on college and law school applications. No practical experience of any kind.

What you were told is true, but for a very small percentage of kids. You will see this in the schools located in affluent communities.

Auto Transport Service
Back