• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suicide Awareness Month.

I don't know of anyone close to me that has done this but I suspect that those that see it as a selfish act may have.
If a family member or friend of yours checks out, you probably feel cheated, dismissed and left holding the bag.
Most of what we do in life could be deemed as "selfish" because by definition, selfish means an action with consideration only for oneself.
I go to work to support myself.
I own classic cars to please myself.
I married a great lady to make my life better.
I cook food to feed myself.
I have been in pain from injuries and I can say that even in my own very limited experience, pain can induce some dark feelings. There is some bad vibes that creep in when one deals with pain whether it is physical pain or mental. I've never been down so deep as to consider suicide. I can see how it can happen though. Your mind seems to shut out reason and focus only on the pain and anguish. It reminds me of drug addiction where reasoning and common sense are suppressed while emotion and fear take hold.
Thanks for starting this thread, CG.

A group here in Savannah, Georgia is having a mental health awareness car show next weekend:
Screenshot_20220903-115808~2.png
Screenshot_20220903-115851~2.png

Newer Link:

Last edited:
My Grandfather. Head in the oven. More common way years ago I guess. Hurts the family and loved ones FOREVER. Therefore a selfish act. Sorry. My Mom is 85 (her Father) and she just mentioned it. That was 1944. Why? What could I have done? Forever hurtful for others. i have a friend who mentions this after the loss of his wife. When the phone rings, I expect to hear it has happened. There is not A ******* THING I can do about it. Grief counseling, bring in others etc. no use. I tried to shame him about his daughters needing him (and me). Doesn’t matter. If he decides, it will happen. Breaks my heart to know this.

As a medic since 2007 and more recently law enforcement I’ve seen this first hand way too many times. The most recent was a traffic stop for running a red light, the driver said he was on the way to commit suicide. He was very honest and cooperative. We had him in an ambulance and sent to the ER for eval right away. I pray for his safety and wish I could talk to him again to see how he is doing. We for sure were meant to intervene and am so glad we were able to meet.

Shockingly while waiting for the tow we were smelling gas. Popped the hood and saw the fuel line had a hole and was streaming gas right at the back of the engine and exhaust manifold.

Like the phones on the Golden Gate Bridge. Not gonna help. Taxpayers paid too. Phones often out of order. Just step into passing bridge traffic. You’ll be dead in an instant. Some things can’t be prevented.

70AC2795-E441-46D7-A98D-C44DB1106741.png

Trust or not, it's the suicidal mind that's in charge weather they want to talk or not.

I had one of my best friends commit suicide when I (he too) was 23. Having to go and pick up his stuff, deal with the body, etc. still haunts and hurts me today.

But I disagree that you can't change the mind of a suicidal person - most suicides are a cry for help. The problem is, most times you never see it coming. In the case of my friend, it wasn't until after he died that a group of us talking started recognizing some of the signs he needed help. The signs were there, but we didn't see them because most of us aren't wired to even think about someone killing themselves.

If there is someone in your life who has shown some signs of suicide, please try and help them. It is a cry for help.

If there is a person who has averted suicide because of intervention, the efforts are all well worth it. Maybe an alternative to someone who thinks there is no alternative, is all that person may need. Maybe showing someone that there's somebody who really cares, rather than thinking no really does care. Maybe helping them take their mind off their isolated island they've found themselves on. Maybe just being there when they think there is no one. If we can't make the effort to help another human being... then, what are we ?

You also have to think, how many strangers do we walk by every day, that may be at the brink of destruction? How hard is it to just say hi, or even smile at a stranger? A random act of kindness can go a looong way.

You also have to think, how many strangers do we walk by every day, that may be at the brink of destruction? How hard is it to just say hi, or even smile at a stranger? A random act of kindness can go a looong way.
You're right!! I spent my whole life trying to get to where I am and now I spend my whole life helping those that need what I have more of than I need. It's fun!!

As a mental health therapist for thirty years, I've worked with hundreds of people if not more. Some of whom at some point considered suicide. Some have survived a serious attempt. There's a big difference between thinking about it, and actually coming up with a plan. I've committed (to ER evaluation) my fair share - and often times they're really pissed! Police/EMS involvement.

Depression is real. None of us get to ask the dead if they regretted the act - I'm certain they do.

Before someone makes ignorant comments about suicide, have some respect for the dead, and more importantly, the person who is alive currently grieving here. How do you think they feel reading your comment? Do you think it makes them feel better?

I won't give you a X but I disagree. When I was in CA. the neighbor across the street who I'll call "pizza boy" because it seemed that a Dominos car was always at his house offed himself. I always saw him walking home from work every day even though he had a car. Lived alone, never had any guests in the 2 years he lived there. I always tried to be nice and neighborly cordial, but I always got the very cold shoulder from him. No reply, head down and wouldn't even look up, and totally void of his surroundings.
What's that line from Cool Hand Luke? "Some men you just can't reach"!

I won't give you a X but I disagree. When I was in CA. the neighbor across the street who I'll call "pizza boy" because it seemed that a Dominos car was always at his house offed himself. I always saw him walking home from work every day even though he had a car. Lived alone, never had any guests in the 2 years he lived there. I always tried to be nice and neighborly cordial, but I always got the very cold shoulder from him. No reply, head down and wouldn't even look up, and totally void of his surroundings.
What's that line from Cool Hand Luke? "Some men you just can't reach"!

I didn’t say it’ll work for everyone. Some people can’t be reached, but for some just a little kindness is enough. He probably had a whole lot going on that you didn’t know about, and was probably too scared to share. But you still tried, and that’s great.

You can call them nearsighted instead of selfish if it makes you feel better. A suicider is now at rest, but the family and loved ones spend a lifetime in doubt, wondering what they could have done to prevent this. They need compassion and support more than the deceased.

When there is nothing left to live for there is always revenge. If someone has destroyed your life to the point that you can never recover don't give up. Get justice. You can burn their kingdom to the ground let them rebuild it and get comfortable before you do it again. You can do this for years. I call it positive revenge therapy. Don't be a victim. Take your power back!
I'm not usually a vindictive person but I have told a few people this and it gave them time work through their feelings to rethink their decisions. Suicide hurts the people left behind that care about you. There are other options. Being that life rarely if ever works out the way we plan it who's to say things won't get better. Take your loss as a learning experience and plan an epic comeback. Everyone loves an underdog that beats the odds and rises to the top. It gives us all hope. Oprah Winfrey tried and survived. Now she's worth 2.5 billion and has helped countless others.

Last edited:
I personally knew 3 people that did it. Also a couple of others with health issues who did it by just letting themselves go. Very Sad!

Auto Transport Service
Back