• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Summer heat and working in the shop

I work in the heat all day, so it is hard to get motivated to work in my shop when I get home. So I had a mini split installed. Shop is 40x40 with 14’ side walls. I enjoy humidity free 80 degrees. I could get it cooler but there is no need.
I would rather work in 10 degree weather then 90 degree

I installed a split system for air conditioning. I was already running a dehumidifier in their anyway. Here in Western NY humidity is a problem in the summer.
Been in 120* out here in the Southwest but worst "heat" I've ever been in was at Carlise PA when it hit 102* with 80-90% humidity. Totally miserable.

My shop is 30x40 with 12ft sidewalls, if I'm going to be in the shop I go out and turn on the large window unit by 7am. On our worst days it never gets above 80 all day inside the shop.

I don‘t mean to wave a red flag at a bunch of bulls but its been in the 70’s every day here and we never see what you guys are talking about. Bit I’ve lived in it so I know it. I have something far worse than heat and humidity year round where I live - if you know what I mean.

A this very moment I’m posting this from the Philippines on my 11 day here doing some work with the poor out in the provinces. I’ll be here until the end of the month. You want heat and Uber humidity come join me. It does ‘t get any worse. The weather is much more temperate out this way during our winter season. Why did I come during the summer - very good question. The Mission system I’m working with wanted me to come now so I did. I’ve been out to all these Asian countries out this way many times so I knew what I was in for. When God calls you you don’t say - wait awhile until the weather is better for me….. You just go.

We talk about poverty in the US - Unless you’ve been out here you have no idea what real poverty is. Much of it is almost beyond imagination. And no matter what you do it’s like a tiny mist in the scorching desert. But you still do it because it’s the right thing to do.

I'm always cool in the shop :)
Well if cool is a state of mind sure... But I've been to Jersey enough to know it can get fairly warm & the humidity can make it unpleasant.. Not unbearable but certainly unpleasant...

Well if cool is a state of mind sure... But I've been to Jersey enough to know it can get fairly warm & the humidity can make it unpleasant.. Not unbearable but certainly unpleasant...

it can get nasty........ my formula for nasty is when the temperature and humidity add up to 150........ 85 with 65% humidity will trash a shirt in record time........ 75/75 doesn't sound bad, but you're soaked as soon as you get busy, I'd prefer 95/55 to that.

I been meaning to A/C the shop, and I'm already set up for it; just need a compressor...... But the hot weather really only lasts 4-5 months, and I never seem to get around to it

hey KD...... what's the humidity on those 110 degree days? 20% +/-?

I've tossed around the idea of A/C in the shop for years, last year I had a rush job of machining a bunch of parts that showed up just as temps hit 108-111 for about ten days.... I was working in my shop from 3 AM (Temps still 90+ degrees) till around 9 AM when temps were hitting 100+...

At the same time frame I found my A/C unit for sale & decided to get serious.... Even with that I still don't have the system complete.... But I've been on the road allot & other projects seem to be a higher priority...

Here is a story.....
Last year I was in Tennessee on a "fact finding" trip. One of the things I was doing was to feel the weather there for myself. One day was somewhat hot...80 degrees with some high level of humidity. It was bearable but uncomfortable. A few weeks later, I was home on a 109 degree day and thought it felt the same. The humidity that day was something like 11%.

Last edited:
I can't say what Greg had in Granite Bay today but we only hit 100 degrees and around 50% humidity today... Tomorrow I'll be in Austin Tx where it's expected to be 104 & around 70%...

With a cooler it's about 72* and 35% here in the house which is really nice and a cooler uses a fraction of power than an a/c unit.

From last year in my "Who has moved from their home state" thread.....
Hmm....
Using that link....

Use Relative Humidity
Result

Heat Index Temperature: 109°F (43°C or 316K)
Air Temperature 90
Relative Humidity 75%

Saturday morning stepping out of the hotel in Murfreesboro, it was 89 with 74% and it did feel hot. As that day wore on, the temp went up and the humidity went down, making it feel almost the same most of the day.
Thank you for that link, it is very helpful.

Where I am in SE Queensland we have 2 distinct seasons: Summer and Winter.
Summer is hot and can be stormy, about 90° in the day average and 70% humidity. The sun's up at 4.30am and it would 80+ by 9am. You get heatwaves of up to say 110° for a few days in summer and coupled with the humidity it just sucks the life out of you. All your clothes get wet with sweat, it's horrible if you have to go out in full clothes, but I work in just a pair of shorts most days and I love it.
Winter is about 70° average in the day but down to 40° to 45° at night which is bollock freezing after the heat of the day. Dry heat though, very pleasant, beautiful cloud free days.
Every summer I yearn for winter. Every cold winter night I yearn for summer.
Putting my cam in during the summer, there was sweat pouring off me. I kept having to wipe myself down to avoid contaminating anything. Any job leaning over the engine is the same issue - the sweat is just dripping off onto where you're working.

To hot, to cold, I'm retired, I go find something else to do. It's not fun anymore to work in the winter with the fingers cut out of my gloves so I can deal the nails out or work when it's a 100 in the shade. I did my time and not even working on cars under those condition intrigues me anymore. I'll stop and go shopping, go out to eat, go for a drive or go watch TV. Make no mistake, let me say it again, I've done my time. I have everything it takes to do what I want, when I want. I like my new life, it started at 52 and I'm now 66, next month and I never get tired of doing my thing. Remember as time goes by, so does our body, enjoy what you can when you can. Nothing last forever.

Last edited:
A ceiling fan & some sort of air movement helps...

At my age something happened I never took into consideration – hot weather affects me much more (and bitter cold). Sweat like a pig now, so extra shirts come in handy and the stamina isn’t what it used to be either. Wife would be amazed how the heat wouldn’t bug me nearly as it did her. And lol, didn’t have to piss so often. Payback time as I’d have to make pit stops for her when we’d drive long distances and now it’s the other way around.

One thing I regretted building the garage when building the house is no CROSS ventilation. It’s often breezy here and when I open up the back service door usually a nice breeze. Problem is the door is on the other end of the garage where I do most of my work. At one time I had a huge old industrial fan mounted on the wall that moved the air around; but that went to crap. The blade resembled an airplane propeller. So, as I’m in the fold now building another garage, putting in an OH door on the rear wall and windows on E/W sides.

75 degrees here today.... but humid as F$%k........ it's not hot, but I just put on my 3rd shirt

r-30 in the attic 2" foam in wall betweeen poles, plywood sealed on perlins to create a dead air space. as long as i can keep the doors closed never gets over 72 or under 45. ground temperature transferring through my concrete floor here keeps my barn very comfortable. but open the doors or turn on an exhaust fan when doing dirty work and its all over.

I just insulated my garage, and finished the walls & ceiling. I've kept the doors closed on hot, humid days, and it's been like having A/C in there. Hope it works half as well when those long runs of dog days get here ???

Auto Transport Service
Back