• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Summit racing headers on 69 b body

Viewsonic

Local time
7:28 PM
Reaction score
So, I purchased a set of summit racing SUM-G9041 headers for my 69 plymouth satellite wagon. I put a 383/727 in this beast and i got a steering box set into place (still needs rebuilt, but that comes later) to mock up the headers. Now I have read the reviews and know that it has to be dented a little bit for fitment, but I didn’t realize that it was most of the one tube. I am half tempted to grab an air hammer to make this process faster. Now i am using the smaller starter that has been recommended and i am running an OE steering box.

Am i crazy for trying to make this work? Anyone else use these? I understand that TTI headers are like 700/800 bucks and thats a bit of a stretch for me at the moment, but i guess they fit the best? Looking for input here. Thank you.

66B2E9BA-EB66-4583-A20B-E7B041A2F65F.jpeg

8B673C9D-A5E2-461E-823F-30128CFEB20D.jpeg

D9F063EB-2C19-4880-8564-9E881A893542.jpeg

79C079AE-A12B-4532-B4FB-04047D390595.jpeg

Make sure you have new motor mounts. They might give you an extra 1/4 inch of clearance and make the difference. I can't tell what problem you are having.

Make sure you have new motor mounts. They might give you an extra 1/4 inch of clearance and make the difference. I can't tell what problem you are having.
The motor mounts are brand new (from summit racing as well) and the problem is that imma have to beat the pipe a good 3/4 of the length in order for it to sit in there decently without hitting the gear box.

Would it be crazy to run a power steering oil cooler because these pipes are gonna hear up the gear box quite a bit? Im just unsure what to do but i want to make sure that I don’t run into problems later on.

The cheaper headers sure seem tempting until a man opens a thread online and sees this.
You’d think these companies would buy a set of the TTIs and make their headers as close as they could to them.
You know that Walter P Chrysler did that? He bought a new Ford and brought it home to disassemble and reassemble several times to learn the strengths and weaknesses.
It sucks when a cheap part requires you to modify other stuff to make it work.
In your case, a Borgeson steering box may allow use of those headers with no denting but the Borgeson unit I bought was almost $900 when I was done with the swap.
Many agree that TTIs are the best. Doug’s headers are almost identical at 2/3 the price.
Maybe the headers you have would be fine for manual steering.

I used Patriot, a low line header from Hooker I think. Had to ding for T-bars but not to bad. Been on it for 8 years. Just added PS and no problems with fitment.

You can beat the pipe almost flat if you need to. Engine masters smashed a tube about flat and it made no difference in power.

The cheaper headers sure seem tempting until a man opens a thread online and sees this.
You’d think these companies would buy a set of the TTIs and make their headers as close as they could to them.
You know that Walter P Chrysler did that? He bought a new Ford and brought it home to disassemble and reassemble several times to learn the strengths and weaknesses.
It sucks when a cheap part requires you to modify other stuff to make it work.
In your case, a Borgeson steering box may allow use of those headers with no denting but the Borgeson unit I bought was almost $900 when I was done with the swap.
Many agree that TTIs are the best. Doug’s headers are almost identical at 2/3 the price.
Maybe the headers you have would be fine for manual steering.
Sage advice. Read this and act.

a deal is only a deal if they work and fit. I’ve never had Doug’s but understand the fit well at again, 2/3 the cost. Not sure what summit headers run, but if they don’t fit isn’t it pretty much the same as taking your daily driver on the freeway and throwing the equivalent amount of cash that the headers cost straight out the window…..

Question... are you unbolting the motor mounts and the rear trans mount, and then jacking or using the engine puller to raise the motor up about an inch, or until the trans touches the firewall, as you try to put the headers in? Until you get the flanges flat on the heads, I don't see how you will know the true interference points of the tubes.

Auto Transport Service
Back