Super oddball 73 rallye?

1971 - 1974 Mopars

1. 400sforever

400sforever Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    10:30 AM
    Thanks for that info! It's the first big block 2 barrel rallye I have seen with a sunroof

#41 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    8:30 AM
    So what do the hood callout say since its not a "400 Magnum"? Is it just void of any callout like on a 318 car? Very curious as this is very unusual car in my experience. I'm sure I'll never see one in person.

3. YY1

YY1 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    11:30 AM
    The 72 400-2 car I saw had no badge on the hood.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • 400sforever

Local Time:
      I will keep you posted. .i haven't seen the hood in person either or in pictures yet

• ODZKing

ODZKing Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      I can shed some light on cruise control. That was not a B body "factory" option in 73 so if ordered, the kit was shipped with the car and the dealer would install. Mine was same way and while it was on the invoice, it did not show on build sheet or fender tag.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • YY1

YY1 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
        Wow. The dealer had to disassemble the column and change the stalk, and fish the wire through?

I've seen a LOT of 74 cars with cruise. Were those dealer installed as well?

• Chargerjase

Chargerjase FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
        3:30 AM
        That's interesting Bob, I didn't know that. My friend has a 70 Barracuda Gran Coupe 383 2bbl with cruise control. Was it the same for earlier years do you know?

• ODZKing

Local Time:
        I can't speak for anything but the 73 Charger (because back in the day I had one new).
        And again it could be ordered, but technically not a factory option. If you look in the parts book it only lists parts for P, D, C, Y (not W or any other for that matter). However if you look in the parts packages section you will see as listed below. CruiseCapture.JPG
        As far as fishing the wire through, it's easy, I have done it my self as my stalk was defective and I changed it.
        74 B bodies Speed Control was considered a factory option and would come on the car if ordered.

• hyde-park

hyde-park Well-Known Member

Local Time:
        True story: My brother (24-ish) at the time bought a new 1973 Dodge Charger from Marv Simpson Dodge in Waterloo, Iowa. He took me to the dealership and showed me the car in the fenced in lot. To my knowledge he didn't order the car, he bought it from the dealers stock. I was 8-9 years old at the time. I remember being so disappointed seeing it for the first time. It didn't look like a "hotrod" at all. Especially when parked next to it, from what I remember, was a red 1967 Chevelle with mag wheels of some sort (Cragar S/S's?). This Charger was red, with a black vinyl roof (don't remember if it was a canopy or halo style), and had full 14" wheel covers. It had full sized roll down rear quarter windows, an all black interior, round rallye gauges, auto on the floor, a/c, and a manual crank sunroof. At the time I couldn't conceive the idea why anyone would want a hole in the roof of their car, lol. Car was stolen and wrecked within a year. Everything from the rear seats to the rear bumper was pretty well much smashed. My mother cosigned for the loan and was not pleased about the outcome. He informed me when I asked questions about it when I was older, that it was a 400 2 barrel car with a peg leg 8.75" rear with hwy gears in it.

• Robert Schaad

Robert Schaad Well-Known Member

Local Time:
        8:30 AM
        Just remember, Mopar was ending some models by 1974 and many options were just put on a car. Sometimes they were not even listed on the fender tag. Sometimes they were not correct according to the tag. Also, you could special order cars with odd options. These were great years. I was there.

• Bb70charger500

Bb70charger500 FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
        You got any pictures of this car I owned a 73 sunroof charger with 400 with cruise control many many years ago before I knew what I had !
        I sold it for a ton more then I payed thought I hit home run !
        Now I wish I kept it
        It didn't have call outs on hood !

Nether did my 318 rallye charger

• YY1

YY1 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
        The 72 I saw sat on FL craigslist for years.

The oddly worded ad said "must sell" in several places but the owner wouldn't budge from his $6,000 asking price for the somewhat gutted and mildly rusty car. however it did have what was left of the original Petty blue paint and the fender tag.

After about 3-4 years the owner moved to (IIRC) Arkansas, took the Charger with him and then promptly listed in on ebay, where it sold for $3000.

Had he come down to 3 or 3.5K while it was still in FL, I'd have probably bought it.
        (and saved him the trouble and expense of moving it and the ebay fees)

• Nacho-RT74

Nacho-RT74 FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
        5:30 PM
        hood call outs were just to Magnums 4 bbls engines 340 on 72/73 and 360 on 74 ALTHOUGHT 360s just got the MAGNUM callout, no displacement on them. Then of course 383, 400, Hemis and 440s ( of course, sixpacks too )

• 400sforever

Local Time:
        I don't have any other pics yet, but I have seen the car. .its been hit in the passenger side quarter, not sure how fixable it is yet

• ODZKing

Local Time:
        I meant to edit my post earlier but too late now so I will post here.
        As far as fishing through the steering post, if there is an existing wire that is coming out, it makes it so much easier. Tie a flexible wire or better yet string to the end at the bottom of the column. Pull the wire through while removing the old part, tie the new one to that end and viola.
        Several years ago I broke (well I didn't but it broke) the cable to open the hood from inside the 73. It happened literally the day before Carlisle. I did as described above and found a used one on Friday and installed it right on the field. Fished it through in just a couple minutes, that's how easy it is.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
        By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.