• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Super Stock Spring questions

RJS

Local time
9:22 PM
Reaction score
My 66 440 powered Satellite has a set of SS 456/457 springs in it. They are shot height wise and the previous owner even put in Monroe Load Leveler Shocks. I can't think the springs ever got to do they're job with those shocks but here we are.

Cheapest way to get an acceptable height could be to have them re-arched,put in a set of long 50/50 shocks and go on. Have a real good place local that have done this to many a set of springs on some of my restoration type cars over the years. I wonder though with SS springs if it would hold.

Next cheapest would be to buy a new set and if so do I buy a 3400lb. set again or go to 3800 part# don't really know what this car weighs?

I know there are better things to replace with like cal-tracks but since this is a hot street car and may see the track once or twice I'm budget minded.

Thoughts??

Thanks Ron

Yes the load levelers are out already and I threw in my old air shocks just so I can play with height. It has been about 5 years since they did a set for me but about $200 comes to mind for a re arch. They are really into their work and the worker puts a sticker on the springs with his initials.
The more I've been reading it seams the 456/457 is the spring of choice for this body style. I used to run this P/N in my 440 74 Dart Sport while most others were running the 002/003's.
Ron

Do you race? Do you need SS springs?

Do you race? Do you need SS springs?

yeah but that's like saying do I need 496 cubic inches? manual auto? 4.10's? 3" exhaust etc...

I like a car that works as hard as me!! Ha Ha
Ron

yeah but that's like saying do I need 496 cubic inches? manual auto? 4.10's? 3" exhaust etc...

I like a car that works as hard as me!! Ha Ha
Ron
You probably need them then. LOL I don't know much about Cal Tracks but they do work. I don't know how street friendly they are though. Seems the SS springs have their limits although some can dial them in and fly! Although a 500 cube wedge putting out 650 horse probably needs more than Cal Tracs! Best have 14x32's and a 4 link. strip only. :lol:

I ran the 3800 lb. Super stock springs for many years, and replaced them with the 3400 lb springs. 67 coronet. Street car no issues

Yes the load levelers are out already and I threw in my old air shocks just so I can play with height. It has been about 5 years since they did a set for me but about $200 comes to mind for a re arch. They are really into their work and the worker puts a sticker on the springs with his initials.
The more I've been reading it seams the 456/457 is the spring of choice for this body style. I used to run this P/N in my 440 74 Dart Sport while most others were running the 002/003's.
Ron
skip the air shocks as well not good for leaf cars

Shock tower is not made to carry the car. Go and get a set of recurve spring's Got 2 1/2 in recurve new spring for my car. Running Monroe shock's. 6 leaf both sides. Best thing I could have done. Car dose not ride stiff but seems to have good handling in the rear.

ESPO Springs and Things
Shock tower is not made to carry the car. Go and get a set of recurve spring's Got 2 1/2 in recurve new spring for my car. Running Monroe shock's. 6 leaf both sides. Best thing I could have done. Car dose not ride stiff but seems to have good handling in the rear.

I bought a set of the 3400 SS springs from Mancini back in 2008 and they are still on the car my 63 Sport Fury and it still sits the same height. They work fine as thats all I use with the longer MP shocks that are not adjustable. Car hooks fine on Hoosier radial 30 x 9 slicks and run 10.70's best on them with a best 60 of 1.50. Nothing fantastic but I guess ok for s street car. Good luck with yours. Ron

Seems the SS springs have their limits although some can dial them in and fly!

SS springs will work, so to speak. But remember, for them to really do what they need to do properly, a drag strip only front end alignment is essential, i.e. jacking the left torsion pretty high to help plant that RR SS spring. Def not what you'd want for an occasional strip meet and mostly street time.

Ok most of you are giving real advice but some are not really reading what I posted.
The air shocks were put in to first see what height the car was at without the loadlevelers and also so I can find the height very easily where I want it by putting in a little air. (read quick and easy) They are not staying and are just a temporary "tool" for now.

"Springs and Things" are good for what they are but not for me. They are cheap in price and great to buy at a swap meet to save on shipping. I've seen far too many sets go flat within a year.

I ran a set of 456/7 SS springs in my Dart for many years with MP long shocks and never adjusted my front end as described and was able to 60' in the 1.40's and run 10.40's-50's all the time.

I guess I could order a new set since more than one has said that the Mexico SS's are still working or have mine re-arched is really my only decision to make.

Probably just re-arch mine buy rear shocks and call it a day.

Thanks All
Ron

I have a 1967 Coronet R/T and put a set of 3800 lb. SS springs # 454/455 under it. After a couple of years, I noticed the right side was starting to sag. I discovered that the second leaf on the left side spring extended almost back to the rear shackle eye. This was not the case with the right side spring, with the second leaf stopping well short of the rear shackle eye. Without this added support, the rear end of the right spring sagged down. I replaced this spring with another left spring # 455, and the car sits level now. I did the same thing on my 1964 Polara, using two left side #455 springs.

What do they want to re arch them? Forget caltracs on street. if re arch is less then 1/3 new go for it. Also skip the coil over shocks.

What's wrong with Cal-tracs on the street?! We run them with no issues and have for a quite a while.

I had 456/457 springs and they turned to garbage after a year. Totally lost their arch.

The Cal-tracs are way more consistent once you get them dialed. We've been 1.36 60 ft with them on a DOT radial on the street car.

Last edited:
What's wrong with Cal-tracs on the street?! We run them with no issues and have for a quite a while.

I had 456/457 springs and they turned to garbage after a year. Totally lost their arch.

The Cal-tracs are way more consistent once you get them dialed. We've been 1.36 60 ft with them on a DOT radial on the street car.
Exactly what people at the track told me when I was building my wagon. The SS springs sold today are nothing like those sold in the past. Went Calvert, drives fine on the street, works very well at the track.

I agree with the last 2, cal tracs.

Here's a secret though..
you don't need the bars,, just the springs..

I’ve got a set of SS 3800# springs that have been in my rafters for 20 years (never used). You coming to Pittsburgh any time soon?

What shocks should I run with my DC 3800lb springs? Was going to run Hijackers but I guess they're not right.

Auto Transport Service
Back