• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superbird story in Guideposts magazine

J5 GTX

Local time
10:03 PM
Reaction score
I was at the tire shop today, reading a magazine called GUIDEPOSTS.
The stories are inspirational ones about overcoming adversity, life changing events, and such. I came across one story about a man and his Superbird.
In 1970 this man was 15 years old working at a car dealership as a go-fer of sorts.
A customer orders an Alpine White Superbird. The kid, I think the name was Gorman, does some prep work and his name ends up on the work order. The kid is bonkers about the 'Bird and vows to own it, one day. He jots down the owners name and address. Many years later, he decides that he and his 9 year old son need a project. He decides to go look for the car. He finds it, in a sad condition. After several years he finishes the restoration. (How do rare and unique, expensive cars get in such condition?). The story is about perseverance to complete a dream. By the way, digging through the glove box, this Gorman fella, finds the original work order with his name on it.
Anybody heard the story? Maybe this guy is on the B Body forum???

Awesome story, what year did he get it in? Really sucks it was neglected at all, but how bad was it?

Yup, cool story. Even tho these cars were kinda expensive when new, there were still plenty of people willing to thrash them and many did. I remember seeing factory Hemi powered cars at the drag strip back in the day. After all, that's what they were made for.

After a few years (and sometimes less) many of these cars were parked with a blown engine or trans with the intention of getting it fixed but for one reason or another, they ended up sitting and most sat outside.

Then you had the rich kids and their parents had no problem with buying junior a hot rod. The high school I went to had several of these guys and street racing was rampart between Mopar, Ford and Chevy. I had a 4 dr 66 Belvedere with a poly 318 so I wasn't playing but I sure enjoyed watching these guys tear em up lol.

Awesome story, what year did he get it in? Really sucks it was neglected at all, but how bad was it?

The Guideposts was dated January 2008 and by inference I think he acquired the car in 2001. According to the story, the floorboard near the gas pedal had a large hole, hood underside rusted badly, interior complete but cracked and split. The restoration took 6 years.

Speaking of how these cars got the way they are, I remember seeing a good condition, running, 440 auto, Superbird for sale for $1750.00. I think that was in 1977 or '78. I guess that after several years, people just thought of them as second hand cars. There was a junkyard I frequented in the late '70s. You can probably guess at the MOPARS I saw there that got crushed. Including a '69 Superbee -straight body, no motor or trans. '70 V- code Dodge Charger- really nice body, engine was there; less intake and carbs.
Talk about bonkers, my brother was ready to push that car home. Quite a few Cudas and Challenger, including a complete '70 Cuda with a 383-no damage or rust.
All were crushed that I know of. The owner of the yard didn't give a poot about MOPARS.

I,m sure everyone knows that the dodge and plymouth dealers had a tough just selling the superbirds..There is an old guy here in town that owns a couple of storage units..I heard he had a couple of mopars so I decided to look him up...He has a 67 hemi coronet among his collection...He was a plymouth dealer in the 60,s and 70,s..He told me he had 4 superbirds on his lot and he couldn,t get rid of them..The public wanted nothing to do with them..Yeah he has a 440 superbird..One he could,nt sell..
Petty Blue 67 gTX

I remember as a kid we went on a X country trip from NH to CA in 1972. We went to the Chrysler Plymouth Dealer for something, Woodward's was the dealer's name, they also sold GMC and for some reason we were there with our VW Bus my dad just bought, I think it was to get the spare tire mounted on the front; for some reason they did it; maybe he knew the guy there? Anyways, I remember there was 2 cars out there that caught this 7 yr old boys eye; the car with the big wing, one was Red, the other (I think blue) sitting out there trying to find a buyer or two, I don't know if they were used; most likely not, they probably were new. Where's that time machine?

Awesome story!

Yep, those cars weren't looked at much differently than the new Mustangs, Challengers and Camaros today. And then you put the 70's gas crisis into the equation and people traded them in for the then new Hondas. I knew a guy who bought a 67 Shelby GT 500 in the mid 70's with the dealer installed 427 side oiler for $1800.00. His buddy tried to convince him to yank the 427 and put in a 302. Good thing he didn't listen to his buddy!

Auto Transport Service
Back